Link belt drive rotation direction

My Denford Viceroy has a link belt drive from countershaft to layshaft (similar to Boxford). Is their a preferred direction of rotation for these belts? In other words when one considers the three sections that comprise a full Vee form, should the outer section lead the inner or vice versa, or doesn't it matter.

Reply to
Richard Edwards

I always fit them with the 'outer' section leading, simply as a safety thing. Don't know if there's a makers recommendation.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Richard

Page 8 of this booklet gives fitting instructions for T-link type belts:-

Interestingly it says that "The belt will run equally well in either direction but preferably with tails leading". I must admit that although my Boxford is fitted that way and is fine I normally install them as Tim has suggested and they work fine as well ?? guess it doesn't really matter.

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Thanks for that, what makes "outer leading" safer? I actually fitted mine "outer trailing" however I now feel that "outer leading" may ensure a better bite to the Vee. The belt has got to come off and be "washed" as it is a bit oil contaminated, hence the belt slip whilst machining a stainless 150mm od flywheel.

Reply to
Richard Edwards

Maybe I've misunderstood your description. I fit them such that the outer face provides the least 'saw-like' edge to anthying which touches it whilst running.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Ok, now I understand, and it is a valid option. As it happens this is as "preferred" in the pdf that Keith supplied.

Reply to
Richard Edwards

Thank you for the pdf most informative.

Unless I still have got it wrong I assumed that Tims method is as per the pdf.

Reply to
Richard Edwards