sortof OT - Auction Sentry trouble?

Anyone else having trouble with Auction Sentry? It seized up on me this morning, now it won't open despite rebooting the machine.
Fleabay is horribly slow as well, maybe there's a connection with that?
From Googling around, there seems to be some dissatisfaction with AS recently, since it has apparently changed hands. Any other recommendations for sniping software or services?
Tim
Tim Leech wrote:

Try Justsnipe www.justsnipe.com
--
Regards, Gary Wooding
On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 18:12:59 +0100, Tim Leech

    You prompted me to try my copy..I was obliged to upgrade to the latest version , which is 3.0.5. However, I downloaded the upgrade without a problem and everything I can test quickly seems OK. I shall be sorry if Dan Hite, who developed AS has gone...he was a very busy guy who constantly upgraded and improved the product. --
On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 18:58:14 +0100, Chris Edwards

Been running 3.0.11 for a little while now!
Just put a snipe on something without trouble. I suspect that Tim's problem was Ebay being a bit sluggish. I've used a couple of other sniping programs and one web-based service. AS is the best one I've come across so far. The _only_ time I'll place a bid directly on an auction is if I think that a inexperienced seller might withdraw an item due to apparent lack of interest.
Mark Rand RTFM

So what happens when we all snipe the same auction?
Henry

Highest snipe wins, but people are not likely to get all stupid and competitive like they do when you announce your interest in advance.
Mark Rand RTFM
On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 23:23:14 +0100, Mark Rand

I think you're right, it seems to have sorted itself out after a period of several hours yesterday, it was working fine by the end of the day. Thanks for the other suggestions, I'll see how it behaves over the next few days.
Tim
On or around Sat, 05 Apr 2008 18:12:59 +0100, Tim Leech

yeah, don't use it, spoils the fun.
On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 19:44:52 +0100, Austin Shackles

if no-one else was using it, I would agree with you. It's not like that in the real world, though.
Tim
On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 12:54:02 -0700 (PDT), Cheshire Steve

Same here, never seen the point of sniping. There are only two ways to lose an auction; too low a bid in the first place, and being beaten by someone who's prepared to pay over the odds. I tend to work out my best price, then add a 5% or so 'spoiler' - which takes care of the 'oooh, lost it by 50p' kick. Never lost an auction that fell within my valuation.
Regards,
www.shwoodwind.co.uk
enlightened us thusly:

Sniping, as already stated, can avoid the over zealous bidding and hence pushing up the price. I find it also helps when an auction ends at a difficult time, usually American stuff, which ends in the middle of the night. Bob

Auction Sniper, never let me down I use it all the time. Tip: take the tick out of the box that lets people know you used auction sniper Bob
Anyone who uses Justsnipe must be mad. Who in his right mind would give his eBay User-ID and PW away? Regards Johannes
--
Yorkshireman48

Whilst I share your concern it seems all the snipe systems ask for them. How else can they bid on your behalf?
Henry