Yet one more Sentry Safe questrion

I just got a call from one of my school volunteers. They have lost the key to the Sentry safe. (A model with key and combo). Can anyone tell me. Can we get a key cut locally if we can provide the safe S/N?. I think its an ACE lock but I haven't looked that closely.

Thanks and merry Christmas!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Gaynor

have lost the key

anyone tell me.

S/N?. I think its an

Jim, your local locksmith (that does safe work) should be able to fit you a key. without the S/N.. just call them out or bring the safe to their shop.

happy holidays

Reply to
"Key

Sentry has key codes on file by safe serial number. Their official policy is to require a notarized statement for duplicate keys but a local locksmith may be able to contact them and get the codes.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Sentry has a policy for distributing that kind of information. They deal only with established locksmiths.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

Thank you gentlemen we lugged the box down to our locksmith and he was able to cut us a key!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Gaynor

locksmith and he was able

your welcome

Reply to
"Key

^ only one?

I would hope you got at least two - and now you keep one of them in reserve (in a safe place - but not in that safe. :-)

Reply to
Henry E Schaffer

<sigh>

You are correct when you say Sentry does have a "policy for distributing that kind of information". But that's about all you got right. The policy is exactly what I said it is, well I didn't mention what they charged but I really didn't think anyone would expect they replace keys for free. In any case they do NOT deal ONLY with established locksmiths.

The policy is essentially the same for lost combos.

Yes. It is a security hole and they probably really shouldn't do it that way, but never the less they do.

You know I would have thought after posting that toilet paper shortage nonsense you would take the trouble to check things out before posting. It would have taken you less than a minute.

No flame intended.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Generally, I prefer not to broadcast security holes on a public forum such as this.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

That has absolutely nothing to do with your original response. Anymore than you posting the TP thing and some of the other urgent bulletins that were obviously false to anyone reading them you have posted was a joke. Check your facts before you post, or not, but considering the wealth of information a few seconds away you look foolish when you don't. Not to mention you give people who may need the information bogus advice.

As to security, frankly if Sentry who makes the box in question feels it's ok to make the keys and combos available per their policy then who am I or anyone else to argue? Personally if I were Masterlock I wouldn't keep a record of combos either but since they do it I will happily tell you how to get it from them. With things like this it's the manufacturers call. It's simply a question of giving up a measure of security for convenience. It's done everywhere everyday with all but the highest security locks and systems. Don't like that? Don't buy that brand of safe and don't reccomend it, however you are hard pressed to find a better fire box for the money. Additionally anyone really concerned can always rekey and/or change the combo, or perhaps unless they are handy have it changed since AFAIK no Sentry models are key change.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

[...]

everyday with all but the highest security locks and systems. Don't like that? Don't buy that brand of safe and don't recommend it, however you are hard pressed to find a better fire box for the money. Additionally anyone really concerned can always rekey and/or change the combo, or perhaps unless they are handy have it changed since AFAIK no Sentry models are key change.

couple of points on sentry one of there gun safes uses a change key. sentry does deceptive advertising by this I mean I was in Lowes the other day and I noticed a sentry fire box that had an advertising label promoting the fact that they have $50,000 worth of replacement insurance for your contents. that would lead me to believe it is ok to put $50,000 worth of stuff in one, So I asked the helpful salesgirl if it was ok to put $50,000 cash in one and she said it was just fine. This is B.S. and false advertising needless to say buyer beware.

Reply to
todd

Well, I may look foolish (and of good humor) but you sure look like an intolerant and cantankerous old fusspot who has nothing better to do with his life than criticize. How pathetic you look.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

You really should not blame Sentry for a sales person's claims. You would not expect the same salesgirl to know if the safe had hardplate of a specific composition or where the drill points are, so why would you expect her to know the intricacies of the insurance?

I've not looked at the wording of the Sentry insurance, so I don't see why $50,000 cash destroyed in a fire would not be covered, assuming that all their conditions are met. What is their wording that leads you to believe that it would not be covered?

Daniel

Reply to
dbs__usenet

Of course it isn't guaranteed against *theft*, which is what would cause me to hesitate to put that much money in a Sentry box... unless that box then goes inside a more serious safe. (Don't confuse fire chests with safes.)

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

dan, you think a sentry safe is a good enough safe to keep $50000 cash in? thetas my point it is deceptive.

Reply to
todd

you see my point joe, but those who see the claim dont know.

Reply to
todd

Depends on where you're keeping it. I wouldn't keep $50K worth of

*anything* in a single place if I could avoid it; if I did, I'd have more security than just a safe/chest.

And I can't see any reason for ANYONE to have $50K of cash on hand at any time.

If you set up unlikely situations, then yes, you may get misleading answers. And if you don't read the terms of the warranty before buying, you're a fool no matter how much or how little you're trying to protect.

There's only so much that can be done to protect fools. Sentry's descriptions of their products aren't any more misleading than most manufacturers of consumer goods, in my experience. If a sales clerk is incompetent... well, there's a lot of that going around.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

plus the government SERIOUSLY frowns on ANYONE having 50k in cash anymore...

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Well..... It depends :-)

If it's in a secured building with 24/hour guards and proper property control, and if it wasn't my money.... sure.

All the sentries that I've seen advertised were either labled as a fire safe or a "steal" safe. If the buyer doesn't do enough research to find out the difference before putting $50,000 in it, well the buyer is probably losing money on other foolish things too.

I find it much more deceptive that we have standards that specify how long a safe will withstand attacks only if a burgler is ill prepared. The use of a plasma torch (or even a burning bar) is not that rare, but doesn't seem to be allowed when rating the safes. I may be wrong, and someone will correct me if I am.

On the other hand, if you are buying a TL or TX rated safe, you will probably get it through a locksmith and will receive good advice about the need for alarms to catch the guy before he's finished opening it.

Again, it was not Sentry that gave you the wrong information, it was the person you described as a "salesgirl".

Daniel

Reply to
dbs__usenet

Didn't know that. Good to know.

So what is the deal on the insurance aspect? I'm sure there are alot of conditions. You can't really blame Sentry for what the sales girl who doesn't work for them told you.

This is B.S. and

Once again it's only false advertising if the claim with regard to insurance is untrue. The fact is they (meaning the typical models associated with Sentry) are not by any means a burglary safe but they are the best fire safe around for the money.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere