Blaze is still at it...

Just so folks know: Blaze has released another paper, this one on safe and vault security. I'm not as irate about his activities as some folks are. I'm not 100% sure I want to discourage him from _working_ in this area; he may yet expose some points we aren't aware of. I just wish he'd worth with the security industry rather than across us.

I've given it a VERY cursory scan, and so far my reaction is the same as to his previous entry in this field: I haven't yet found anything the industry isn't aware of, and he misses some significant points. He also fails to consider social engineering issues either in the specific engineering points or in the general decision of where/how to publish. It's not a bad overview for the beginner, but overall it isn't particularly creative nor useful. If I were grading it as graduate work I'd give him a B-; competent library-research paper, but I don't think it significantly advances understanding in either his field or ours.

And I think the choice of where and how to release it, and how much well-known info is used as filler, suggests he's a bit desperate to meet his academic publish-or-perish schedule.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (address as shown

I find it amazing that manufacturing tolerances of safe combination locks seem to be so poor as to allow the sort of manipulation described in Blaze's paper.

Anyway as Charles Courtney said in his book 'Unlocking Adventure', (with respect to combination lock manipulation) you need to know more mathematics than the average crook has ever learnt.

Reply to
Peter

really? it comes down to HOW SECURE.... You got a 'Sentry' type safe, or one with a group 2 lock, or 1 with a group 1 or 1R type lock... old school, OR the new pushbutton..

you pays your money and takes your choices..

.I looked at a new Sentry gun safe, the handle had come off, and was looking at the wheel pack, and figured an hour or so of playing with it, to get the combo, IF it was not available by any other means..

if one was to get an auto dialer, (again, old technology for some locks) you can 'open a group 2 in something over 24 hours if I remember right.. HOWEVER.. thats a 3 number combo-a 4 number makes the time frame MUCH longer..

vs... a 6 digit push button.. how fast can you push buttons.. the number of possibilities is 10 to the 6th. 1 million combinations that you MUST try, PLUS deal with in some cases the auto time out in SOME locks, where 3 wrong combos forces a lock out for a bit..

the bottom line on them is to not let any one unauthorized in, EASILY or QUICKLY.. time becomes your friend..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--