sentry safe

My girlfriend had an accident last night and I need to get into the safe to get my spare keys and I have been up all night stressing and now I can't remember the 5 digit code to the electronic lock even though I have gotten into the safe a few times a day for the last several months is there a way to bypass it ? can anyone help?

Reply to
Rick

Did you store the combination in a safe place, or share it with a trusted relative in the event of an emergency?

Since your need is urgent, I'd recommend contacting a local locksmith to arrange a house call...

BogusID

lock smith can not get here today

Reply to
Rick

This is pretty easy. This is a fire safe not a burglary safe. The word "safe" is being stretched to the limit with this thing.

Couple methods. Since you don't mention any problem with the key for the tubular lock that's on most of those safes I assume you got it. If not either pick the lock or use a hole saw to cut the shoulder above the pins away and remove the pins from the lock to allow it to turn. Don't forceably pull the lock or a halfass relocker will activate and you will have to deal with it, which is more a minor inconveience than naything else. How ever you do it unlock the key lock.

As far as the key pad.

  1. Look carefully at the numbers for signs of oil left by your figners when you, or whoever, used it before. The keys that are used should show signs of use. A cheap blacklight makes this more visible.

OK if that didn't work next try this:

Looking at the safe from the front place a piece of wood to the immediate right of the keypad, you can stick it in place with tape, and whack it with a mallet prefferably a deadblow type mallet. At the same time you whack it give the handle a quick turn. The idea here is to use inertia to move the plunger out of the way of the locking bar for a split second to unlock the safe. This way works best with two people. One to whack it and the other to give the handle the quick turn. The timing has to be dead on. Do not turn the handle until you feel tension before you whack the safe because doing so will jam the locking bar against the plunger below a shoulder and guarantee that the damn plunger won't move if you whack with a sledge hammer. You can very tension on the handle and try to turn it just short of where the locking bar and plunger make contact. What spot works best varies from model to model because the tolerances on these things are about as precise as a 4 year olds math.

With a little bit of luck and some coordination it's open now. What? It's still locked? Maybe you're unlucky, uncoordinated, or both. Try this:

Drillling:

On the door of the safe as veiwed from the front Measure down 4.25" from the top edge of the door. Measure 2.25" in from the Right edge of the door. Where the lines intersect is your drill point. Use a plain old 3/8" HS drill bit. This 'safe' is thin skinned with no hardplate or even real steel plate. Shortly after you start drilling you will feel the bit break through. Take a punch and push it through the hole till you feel it make cotnact with metal. That metal is the locking bar. Give the punch a sharp smack, but not so hard that you F up the inner door that covers the workings or you may be locked out for good. If you did it right you will bend or break the locking bar so it no longer contacts the plunger allowing the door to open. If you are careful you can bend it so it can be bent back and the safe reused when you are done.

If that didn't work post back and I'll tell you some other ways but these are the easiest two and if you can't manage them you will probably not be able to do the others.

Rick wrote:

Reply to
realaddress

sure there is...

Reply to
Key

take it to the locksmith...

Reply to
Key

Holy crap. Somebody on alt.locksmithing actually giving real and useful information. Pigs must be flying down to hell to do some ice skating today.

Reply to
Tim Mathews