Sentry safe help.

Hello, I am in need of some advice. I own a Sentry Fireproof/waterproof safe F3300, and I am unable to get into it at this time. (This has happened before, but I was always able to get it open.) It is now over a week that I've been struggling with this thing. (It is in the unlocked position, btw.) Is there anything that anyone out there can suggest that I do, aside from call my local locksmith (which I will do if there's no other choice, I just didn't want to have to shell out money if I didn't have to)? Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Kim

P.S. Are the sentry safes known for having this kind of problem? (Just curious.)

Reply to
Kim

the problem you are having????

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Is that the 1.3 cubic foot model with the tubular (Ace) type lock? The one I saw was about 100.00US dollars.

I'd carry it in to a locksmith and leave it with him. If you catch him at a time when he or she, not to leave out the lady smiths out there,isn't busy the locksmith shouldn't charge too much.

You might want to discribe the problem in more detail though.

Reply to
Glen Cooper

Disclaimer - Iamnotalocksmith

Mine had the same problem. Since I only use it to store computer backups, I removed the whole locking mechanism so that just flipping the lever opens it.

Fortunately for me, I took action before the problem got too bad.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I'm not sure which one the 3300 is.

When you say it's in the unlocked position, do you mean that the handle is trned? If so does it seem like the handle is turned *all the way*?

Sometimes the boltwork can jam and the handle will only turn part ot the way, leaving the locking bolts sticking out just a little bit but enough to prevent the door from opening. If that's the case, try moving the handle back and forth several times. If it opens DO NOT close it again until it is serviced!

If that doesn't work it will probably have to be forced open. Then just toss it and buy a new one.

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Sentry safes sometimes have a problem with the inside cover warping and/or loosening which allows the bolt retracting linkage to move out of position and everything to jam up. If this is the case you will probably need professional assistance to get in it. You aren't very specific about the exact problem you are having so it could also be something else.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Usually when the linkage malfunctions the handle will not turn all the way.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

that the handle is

the way*?

turn part ot the

bit but enough to

moving the handle

it again until it is

open. Then just

locksmith company

your

Problems.

hand, that he may

because he cares

Fireproof/waterproof

time. (This has

It is now

(It is in the

out there can

(which I will do

to shell out

problem?

turn all the way.

no handle.. the f3300 is just a fire box with an ace type key.. see

"Keyman

that the handle is

the way*?

turn part ot the

bit but enough to

moving the handle

again until it is

open. Then just

locksmith company

your

Problems.

The f3300 is just a fire box with an ace type key.. see

"Keyman

see if someone is close to you-give them a call... have a chat, and get an opinion...

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

If the quote you get is higher than the price of a new unit, a sledge hammer and/or prybar will destoy this model with a bit of effort. It's made to be a cabinet, not a safe.

I had to destroy mine after leaving it locked for many months. I needed to grab my passport in time to catch a flight. Key would not turn, I could not "pursuade it" to open with the key. The 3 foot crowbar did make it co-operate.

Daniel

Reply to
dbs

type

had this

weight to get

finally opened,

lever, is cheap

to clear

of

documents, and

Little did I

with it,

required, but he

and a piece

sense). It

way to pry

thing

inside. That's

make a

paid for the

better. (Wasn't

all your help.

get your friend to load it up for you and take it to a local locksmith shop. shouldn't cost that much to get it open (if ya don't care to save the lock).

g'day

Reply to
"Keyman

Poster did say it weighs a hundred pounds and that that's more than he or she weighs. Cost for a housecall and opening should run roughly 75 - 125 depending on where you are.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

<tOp4b.22540$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.austin.rr.com>

ace

own

lever

piece

hammer

The

local

more than he or she

roughly 75 - 125 depending

thats why I told her "get your friend to load it up".

Reply to
"Keyman

Kim,

How old is it? If it's still under warentee, call Sentry and they will pay a qualified safe tech to come out and open it (explain the weight issue). Then, if it can't be repaired, they'll ship you a new on, free of charge. (Really cool people to deal with)

I do jobs like this for Sentry from time to time.

As A side note... Sentry takes a lot of unwarented flack about "quality". The real problem is that most people (and I'm _not_ including you in this) buy a Sentry and try to us it as a "burglary safe" (which it is not!)

Sentrys (most of them anyway) are intended ONLY to protect

***non-negotiables*** fire damage. For that use, IMVHO, you get a pretty good bang for your buck. Care to guess what _I_ keep _my_ important papers in?

Bobby

If you need a number for Sentry, let me know.

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Before you try to pry it open. With the key in the lock, take a ball peen hammer and tap around the locking area. Make sure the tap in all areas. Do this while maintaining pressure with the key. Many times if the lock/latch is in a bind, the vibrations will cause it to release.

Jack Allied Lock & Security Atlanta

Reply to
Jack

jim a sentry is not meant to protect computer tapes in a fire they will be lost.

Reply to
todd

you are right rc, I was not aware of sentry making a media container.

Reply to
todd

Sentry makes media storage products. Or are you saying they don't perform as advertised?

Reply to
Putyourspamhere