Sentry Security (not Fire rated) Safes

Hi,

I have read a number of posting in this newsgroup regarding the security (or lack thereof) of the sentry fire safes. However, sentry also makes some steel "security" safes (with mechanical and electronic locks).

How easy are these to break into ? Are they easy to pry open or drill holes into ?

I contacted sentry and they informed me that they do not make any burglary resistant safes. So what is the use of the steel (non-fire rated) safes that they do sell?

Reply to
SA

a home owners grade, for the man that doesnt want to pay the $$$ for the better.. keeps the 'kids' out this is a Chevrolet model, as opposed to the Caddy, or BMW's that are available and FAR better, but at a FAR better $ too

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Ottawa Canada

You raise a good question, what good is a steel, non-fire rated SENTRY safe?

Probably to look nice and provide a convenient place to store important papers but NOT money, bearer bonds, share certificates or other negotiable instruments.

For the security rating of a safe or vault, ask itsd maker or custodian its Underwriters Laboratories (UL) rating label.

Therre are TRTL 15, TRTL 30 TRTL 60 etc labels which mean that when tested by Underwriters Laboratories, it took at least 15, 30 or 60 minutes to gain entry into the safe or vault with a cutting torch (TR) or tools (TL). The tools consist of drill bits for drilling hardened steel and other interesting tools.

There is also the TXTL60 etc label which means the safe or vault took at least that many minutes to get into with a torch, tools and explosives!

The UL label is your assurance of peace of mind that it will probably take burglars at least as long to get into the safe or vault as it did the boys at UL.

In addition to buying an appropriately rated safe or vault, you should also have the safe and premises equipped with security cameras and an appropriately UL rated burglar and fire alarm system.

The money you spend on an appropriately rated safe or vault will pay dividends in terms of peace of mind and reduced insurance prremiums.

Brian

SA ( snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com) writes: >

Hi, > > I have read a number of posting in this newsgroup regarding the

Reply to
Brian K.Lingard

if it says TR or TL ONLY... its for the FACE ONLY.. it must say X6 to be completely protected on all sides..

TRx6 protects everywhere. whereas TR is for the door ONLY. and you need to provide protection for the other 5 sides..

don't want anyone misconstruing this..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

They are a step up from locking something in a desk drawer or gym locker.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf