Fire Dept. Required to Have Business Keys?!

I work for a movie theatre part time. We had the fire inspector come out today, and one of the things he said was that the fire department needs a copy of the keys to everything. When I heard this I said, "Excuse Me?!" Has anyone ever heard of this before? The theatre is in Kansas. I used to do volunteer firefighter work. If we needed in a burning building or other structure, we just destroyed everything in our way to get to the fire (at the owners expense of course.) I was the low man on the totem pole at the firehouse, but I never heard of us requiring keys to businesses by law. It just seems like a liability. Even though I am sure most fire personnel are good people, I would never give them keys to my house or business. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Erik

This isn't a locksmithing question; it's a legal question.

Contact the Local Authority Having Jurisdiction over this and ask them. There may indeed be a local law to that effect, either for business generally or for movie theaters in particular. Or it may just be a common practice in that town. Or someone may be completely confused.

It's up to you to determine which case applies. Contact your local fire department and/or town offices and ask them whether this is true and -- if so -- where you can get a printed copy of the specific rules. Then, if still in doubt, pay the money to have a lawyer look it over.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

they are doing it in my town.. seems 'certain' places got a lock box mounted on the outside of the building with a door key inside, that only the FD has the key to.. I can se the logic, but.. I can also see the legal problems.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

its also done that way in some places in my town. not very many places though.

Reply to
Key

its not unheard of

I also believe it should the owners choice. maybe not ?

Key

Tell him you want a code cite.

Reply to
Steve

After doing some research post newsgroup post, of course I got my answer, which is what I should have done in the first place I suppose. I found a lot of fire departments using knox boxs. This is what Shiva mentioned. And after seeing the picture of them on their webiste

I immediately recalled seeing one mounted right next to our door. I had always written them off as a switch or valve for a utility company being they are brown and unlabeled. So apparently this is a practice of our company or was at one time, they just never updated the keys in the box the last time the locks were re-keyed. I will say that the boxes look extremely secure and wouldn't be worried about them being broken into. It would be much easier to break into the building than the box. I am just surprised I was unfamilar with these, or maybe it is just now becoming an ordinance/recommended idea. So yes, it did start as a legal question, but it ended up with a locksmithing related answer of business security.

Reply to
Erik

The Fire Service in New Zealand voluntarily hold keys at the nearest firehouse to business premises where the fire alarm is hooked up to the Service's communication center. Over many years, there has not been any 'incident' involving these keys.

It seems there should be little problem with a picture house since sweets, ice cream etc can be separately locked away after hours.

Reply to
peterwn

In the Rochester NY area, some business do this. the lock box is made by Knox, and probably you can find ads for the folks who sell the box.

My guess is, it's done on a voluntary basis.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon
<snipped stuff

When I'm setting up a system for my customers, one of the questions I always ask is if there will be a Knox Box. Around here we often have them. GG, Lou

Reply to
Grrly Girl

*** The Stockton, CA fire department asked for Knox boxes on my buildings there. Cost me something like $400 per box, plus installation. To say that they are extremely secure is not an exaggeration.

- Jerry Kaidor

This is what Shiva mentioned. And

Reply to
jerry