master lock sphero

Is there an easier way to set a new combination on a master lock sphero padlock? I have the keys and it unlocks fine that way, but I don't remember the last combination from two years ago. It's not the original factory-set combination, so the hint websites are no help. Do I really have to go the long route and try every number, or does someone have the "how to set a new combination" instruction that came with the original packaging?

Reply to
Xander

Key

I haven't seen one of these up close and personal but from the web site it appears that the combination is fixed on these locks, are you sure that this has a resettable feature?

Also, are you the same Xander that has recently relocated to MO from CA?

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Reply to
Xander

Very sure. I used the lock for my locker at the health club, and reset the combination to my weight, and changed it often then. Now that I think of it, I might have to find the old combination, then press in the shackle in, and enter the new combination, then release. Thanks for snagging my memory.

By the way, I went to this group because the MasterLock "help" is ridiculous. Writing, notary public, no phone calls, no e-mails. I'm surprised they don't ask for a set of fingerprints, my mother's maiden name, and a stool sample. Is Homeland Security going to start tapping my phone because I asked for a copy of the instructions on the packaging of the lock? Cheesy crepes.

Reply to
Xander

If you want to get the old combo you can determine it if you can see the wheels down the shackle hole. Rotate the dial as you would normally dial the combo bringing each successive wheels gate under the shackle hole, you might have to push the shackle back to see them, note the number dialed on the index mark, then transfer to the drop in wherever it may be. As memory serves the drop on a regular master combo lock is about 10 numbers R of the shackle hole. Might be the same on this lock might not be. If not you can use process of elimination which should be no big deal considering only 50 possibles not even taking into account dialing tolerances, or figure it out in short order by trying it out on an identical lock with a known combination and just doing the math. As far as changing the combo AFAIK none of these are resettable. If you are 'sure' it's resettable and can't manage to reset it, and you want to be absolutely sure: After you figure the current combo post it and the serial and I'll tell you if it's the factory combo assuming the serial is in my codes. If you don't want to post it let me know and I'll give you an email.

Reply to
Steve

Although I am not a spokesman for Master, I can see why they do this. If the lock is on your locker, then making a photo copy of the lock would not be doable. In the event that someone were to perpetrate a fraud, the notarization would give Master a defense to a lawsuit.

If the combination is resettable they would have no record of what you set it to anyway.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Reply to
Tim Mathews" <Tim

This is a perfect example of how poor most locksmiths really are at examining and evaluating security procedures. To make it "doable" you snap a digital pic of the lock and serial number in question. Scale it to actual size. Print it. Cut out the lock from the pic. Photocopy the lock from the cutout. From an average quality photocopy nobody will be able to tell the difference. The background will look the same as if a real lock was photocopied because there is nothing there. Of course nobody who has ever heard of padlock shims or who has given a master combo lock a couple good hard smacks with a blunt object would bother.

Reply to
Tim Mathews" <Tim

Reply to
Billy B. Edwards Jr.