Master Lock Patent Implementation

Hello, all. On 2/16/71 a U.S. patent (#3563067) was awarded to Master Lock Company that describes what is ostensibly the design of the current #1500 combination padlock. The patent discusses a mechanism for automatically turning the dial away from the last dialed number when the shackle is pulled open. My experience indicates this feature is not present in currently-available #1500 locks nor those that I purchased new back in the early '80s. Turning the dial away seems like a good idea but was it ever available in a Master Lock (or anyone else's) product(s)? Thanks for your time and comment. Sincerely,

Reply to
J.B. Wood

American and some others repositioned the wheels when the shackle was closed.

Reply to
Steve

Thanks for replying, Steve. The Master Lock patent references George Junkunc's (American Lock Co.) 9/6/66 patent (#3270534) but in that design the dial is turned off the last number upon shackle closure. I don't have any American brand combo padlocks to check this out, though.

One thing stands out about Master Lock Co. Looking over their various dial combo padlock designs shown in their patent diagrams it is clear that they have minimized the required number of parts over the years. Although most of Master's padlock product line is made in China these days (including those nice Sphero combo locks) the company still makes the 1500/1525 padlocks in the U.S. for well under $10 each and they still have the stainless steel outer case. Nice to see a U.S. company that can still compete in manufactured goods. Sincerely,

Whether or not the lock has been improved, well...you'd have to ask a locksmith ;-) Bolt cutters still are effective. Sincerely,

Sincerely,

Reply to
J.B. Wood

A gym locker is a cheap tin box that holds a limited amount of personal goods for a short period of time.

If you are looking to thwart surreptitious entry, and preserve national security this aint the lock you want, but it is OK for the jock and sneakers.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

How true and it would be overkill and much more expensive (assuming you bought one new) to use a S&G combo padlock on a gym locker but I have seen them used there. Like those black retractable "U.S. Government" ballpoint pens, some of those S&G padlocks have sprouted legs. Sincerely,

Reply to
J.B. Wood