Rekeying Kwikset to use Weslock keys

Yo guys, please bear with me, I know nothing about this stuff. I have a situation in a building where there are two Weslock deadbolts on a couple of doors. These deadbolts are keyed on both sides. For personnel safety reasons, we must change the inside to toggle knobs instead of keys, so only the outside is keyed. We can't afford to have anyone "locked in", in case of fire. Secondly, company policy says that I still have to be able to use the existing Weslock keys on any new locks installed. I have been told that Kwikset deadbolts, like I can get for $25 or so at the local Home Depot, can be rekeyed to use Weslock keys. Is this true? Any specific models?

If I were to buy two new Kwikset deadbolts and take them to a local registered locksmith, along with the existing Weslock key, what would be a customary and reasonable charge for getting them rekeyed?

Is the physical size and mounting of the Weslock and Kwikset deadbolts the same so I don't have to alter the existing holes in the doors?

Any words of warning or advice?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Tremo

yeah, dont do it..

there are 2 dimensions that (ignoring the keyway) are critical..

the first cut distance from the shoulder, and the center of cut to center of cut past that..

between the KW and the Weslock, the shoulder to center of first cut is SOME different. its enough that it CAN be done.,. HOWEVER I have never YET seen it work in a long haul. AND the key MUST be pinned JUST SO for it to work.. you end up having a pin sitting on an edge between 2 cuts which is NOT a good thing..

so, if there is NO Weslock dealer around you.. Try Lowes and Home Depot.. then get on the internet and get 2 shipped in to you.. should be several palces you can buy them..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

What kind of occupancy are you in ??? Commercial office ??? Then don't use Kwikset... Contact a local locksmith and order Lori deadbolts... The locksmith should be able to find a mortice cylinder that will be more compatable with the Weslock keys...

The $25 product you can purchase at Home Depot is a throw away lock for light residential use... They WILL NOT stand up to heavier use in a commercial environment...

Evan, ~~ formerly a maintenance man, now a college student...

Reply to
Evan

Kwikset blanks will fit in a Weslock but Weslocks blanks won't fit in Kwikset locks.

Reply to
Skip

Get a Lori DB-Then find a mortise cylinder in the WK1 Keyway. You will have to alter the hole that recieves the bolt some. The Lori has a metal box for a reciever.

Later, goma.

Reply to
goma865

^I meant to say "Go to a Locksmith".

I have Lori's. I order them on a regular basis and I do recommend them.

Good luck, goma.

Reply to
goma865

was wondering when someone would mention that :-)

Reply to
Key

That is the wonderful thing about the Lori deadbolts... With the proper mortise cylinder installed they can be keyed into just about any system out there...

That is one of the things that I wonder about these days, why do so many people cheap out and go with grade two bored locksets when they could easily purchase mortise locks that can be compatable with so many different kinds of lock cylinders that can be swapped out to upgrade the security of a facility without being limited by the type of bored lock hardware they initially installed...