Machines Time Forgot - C4

Hello all, Very interesting programme. Can anyone tell my why their bronze TIG welding turned out like sponge and leaked like a sieve.

I dare not think how much that continuous cast bronze they used for the hand pumps cost.

2 arms and a leg per chance? Cheers GeoffH

superheated - radiant

Reply to
GeoffH

Hello Cliff,

Did not notice that even when they mentioned it. Missed it somehow. Would this be common and continious cast? Never experienced it when using smaller sizes. Geoff

Reply to
GeoffH

Cliff,

It surprises me not a bit - when we were in Malta last time we visited the art galley in Valleta - a lovely building that had been one of the Knights Templar palaces with an amazing collection of very early art - mainly of a religious theme. The custodian got talking to us and I was surprised when he lit up a cigarette in the gallery infront of a medieval painting. When I commented he said to quote 'who cares about the bloody paintings' !!!!!!!!

Very nice country, very nice friendly people, amazing history and they don't seem to care a jot about it !

Andrew Mawson Bromley, Kent, UK

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

HSE quite obviously not a factor there. Just shows what we are missing :-) Geoff

Reply to
GeoffH

"Not a factor there"? I don't think anyone else in the world has an HSE!

France most certainly hasn't, and I can't imagine that there is anyone else other than loony Britain that has!

We are so round the twist as to be unbelievable. Everyone else thinks that if you want to do something, you should be adult enough to suss out the risks for yourself and then its up to you. If you can't - tough! Why should the State nanny you!

Dave.

Reply to
speedy2

I like to think that the loss of the court case recently where the HSE took on the Police would have been a shot over their bows, but old habits die hard, and many a small company runs the risk of being prosecuted through non-compliance with some of the stupidity they produce.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Details please Peter. Haven't heard of this in darkest Norfolk.

Was in South Africa last year, and some of the things I saw would have had the HSE et al having screaming fits, and heading for the nearest court. I do think we are the only country in the world that loves telling people what they can and cannot do.

Geoff

Reply to
GeoffH

In article , GeoffH writes

Wouldn't it just? Mind you, they've different attitudes to *lots* of stuff there. I know of a bloke who was banned (by his wife) from flying his plane to the pub after he crashed into the house on his return one night.

Hah! You should see the hoops they have to jump through in "The Land Of The Free"(tm). Saying "MSDS" to any Septic contractor is normally good for a fifteen minute rant,

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

I think this was the case where a police officer chased a suspect across a roof and fell through a roof panel. HSE charged the police for failing to comply with HSE rules by not instructing their officers what to do in this instance. I.E. a Risk Assessment for chasing burglars across roofs!

Lionel

Reply to
Lionel

Quite correct, except that the HSE took the Police Commissioners past and current to court, not the Police as a body.

The words "use your common sense" are not now allowed apparently in any instructions.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

LOL

They sure seemed determined to find out if would go "ka-boom".

Never say that to a kid or model engineer . . . Well not me at least :-) Geoff

Reply to
GeoffH

Bloody stupid! When I (a young 45) went through the training school at work, the recent Health and Safety at Work act was explained as:- Safety is the responsibility of everyone at work. If you injure yourself by acting in an unsafe way at work, the Company is quite entitled to sue you for the loss of your time and any damage that you caused by your negligence. I thought this was quite a reasonable attitude to take.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

In article , Martin Akehurst writes

Weren't they *supposed* to be using "ancient techniques"?

So why the merry hell were they using TIG welding?

I wonder if the original nozzle would have been quite as perfect as the modern reproduction. If edges of the hole through which the oil was squirted had been rounded or chamfered, the oil might not have sprayed into such a wide cone...

Reply to
Paul C. Dickie