Motor Woes

Bugger.

The motor in my Maho mill has gone puff (2.HP, two speed 1400/700rpm) I don't suppose anyone has a redundant two speed 3 phase motor from a Colchester Bantam or Student that needs a new home?

Failing that a decent rewinder might be handy

Thanks

Charles

Reply to
Charles p

What caused it,do you think?

Mark.

Reply to
mark

There`s an Asea 2 x speed on ebat but it`s not. :-).

Reply to
mark

Own stupid fault I'm afraid. I use a static converter with a 3HP idler motor to balance the phase voltages. And guess who forgot to switch on the idler....

Charles

Reply to
Charles p
.

Old age I suppose.They`ll be calling you grumpy next. :-) I know what JS will call you and the first word`s Stupid...

Mark.

Reply to
mark

He can call me that if he can help solve the problem!

Charles

Reply to
Charles p

These are still available but far too fast.There`s an inverter for them too,but it`s 415v in.

mark

Got a single speed 1400 rpm 2hp 3ph motor you can have, but you'd need a VFD/Inverter to get the lower speed. An Inverter might be cheaper than the cost of a two speed motor. Don't know the cost of a commercial rewind (John S. Probably has friends in the trade).

I'm going to rewind a 1/6hp motor myself between now and Crimble, but that's because I'm cussed...

Regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Incorrect, it's Clumsy Bastard.

I'll make a few phone calls, forget the rewinding, you are looking at =A3200 minimum.

John S.

Reply to
John S

Better still fit a line contactor after the idler.

Reply to
mark

Trust me. After this escapade I'll never, ever forget again. Clumsy bastard is only the start of what I called myself.

After a bit of looking around I've learnt a few that speed motors are rare and my Colchester lathe spares special breaker isn't able to sell second hand electrical components.

Charles

Reply to
Charles p

get him to swap it for something he wants.

Reply to
mick

Get him to agree that you're buying the motor for the bearings :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

There was an Alexander Toolmaster motor on Ebat a couple of weeks back.Don`t think it sold.Might be worth doing a search.

Reply to
mark

Seems to be someone in your neck of the woods looking for one on your homeworkshop site :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

With luck he'll find 2, and offer you the spare ;)

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

Are you clairvoyant Dave?