myford super7 3 phase conversion (again)

I'd like to convert my Super 7 to 3 phase. I think I will go the inverter route. Can anyone point me at a solution that won't require a lot of electrical troubleshooting. I haven't got 3 phase to the house. Thanks Nick

Reply to
nickphill

Depends how much cash you have and how much trouble you want. For a "plug and play" solution look at the Newton Tesla setup:

Not cheap but very easy to fit and works like a dream - just swap the motor pulley to the new motor, bolt the motor into place and plug into the controller

Alternatively, a three phase motor and something like the Eurotherm drive:

Either way, well worth doing

Reply to
Norman Billingham

post in the yahoo myford group that you would like to do this

and I'm sure there will be one or two members there ...who have gone the other way

and taken all the three phase equipment off their three phase machine ... and gone to 240 volt

and will only be too willing to sell you the old gear .

all the best.markj

Reply to
mark

and if you can find them

they also make single phase to single phase inverters as speed controllers .

BTW .......i still have a myford three phase motor ........transformer for the lighting and control circuit ...and the myford three phase suds pump ....make me an offer ......

all you need to find after that is ......a myford 3 phase motor starter relay and possibly reverse switch

all the best.....markj

Reply to
mark

doh ....im getting confused ..... the items i mentioned are boxford !!!!!

Reply to
mark

.

ahh ,...

Reply to
nickphill

Its really simple; just get a 3-phase motor to replace the single phase one you have, and a matching single to 3 phase inverter VFD. Make sure the motor you get is the type that can be rewired for delta (240v) or star (415v) - these have 6 terminals and 3 "straps" inside the connection box. You can get 1-3 phase inverters with built-in voltage transformers (240-415), but they are expensive - its cheaper to get a re-wireable motor. The biggest problem I came across was in deciphering the manual for the inverter - I eventually discovered that they are notoriously abstruse. My first inverter was a Mitsubishi S520 and when I eventually figured it out it worked fine. I have subsequently converted 3 milling machines and a drill press - all using Mitsubishi inverters. I can help with setting-up the inverter - as long as its a Mitsubishi. Once you have electronic speed control you'll never want to go back.

Reply to
lemel_man