220 ac volts single phase adapter to 550 ac volts 3 phase

Hi

I have access to a lot of metal working equipment that works on 550 ac volts

3 phase. My problem is that I that I only have 220 ac volts single phase in my house. Is there a way to convert 220 volts ac 1 phase to 550 volts ac 3phase.
Reply to
André Cornut

Two ways: use a single phase transformer to step 220 up to 550 and make a 550VAC phase converter, or convert 220 1ph to 220 3ph and then use a three phase transformer to step up to 550 3 phase. Be sure you size your transformer large enough. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Anyone know if there is a VFD to do this? Not only do you get the required voltage/phase change but variable speed as a bonus.

GmcD

Reply to
F. George McDuffee
1750 VA - that's not very big. That will only supply about 3A at your rated 575V. By the time you derate and other losses in your VFD you will only be able to drive about a 1hp motor continuous. 100% efficiency you would be at 2 1/4 hp motor, but you are going to have a lot of losses, plus I wouldn't want to be driving the transformer and VFD that hard anyways. Not sure what startup currents would do to this system.

JW

Reply to
jw

My plan is too step up the 240V to 575V with a single phase transformer and then feeding it to a 575V VFD (derating it due to the single phase input). I hope to use one transformer to feed all the machines, but separate VFD will be required for each one. I am in the process of buying the required stuff and will let the newsgroup know how it goes. Tonight I have to finish pulling the wire to the shop, I have the transformer ($160 Can for a 1750 VA) and am in the process of buying a used VFD.

stan

Reply to
stanley baer

My bridgeport is what I use most of the time, I also have a gearhead drill press and a pedastal grinder that need 575V, none of these draws much or starts under load. My lathe is another story, it will be running on the generator for a while yet.

stan

Reply to
stanley baer