Repair of old Alvis window winder mechanism.

A friend of a friend has asked for some advice regarding the above. I don't have any details of the car except that it's a very old Alvis, I
have seen the mechanism which has 5 entrained cog wheels, 2 springs all mounted on steel plate which I assume is bolted within the door. Generally it looks in reasonable condition, however one of the cog wheels is partially stripped and needs replacing or rebuilding.
Does anyone know of a firm or a hobby machinist who can do this kind of repair.
Regards Don

if not too thick metal? Ebay has several laser /waterjet operators advertising their services - IIRC search ebay for "custom PC case" or "custom bike parts".
I was after a reusable metal sign stencil and one ebayer in particular when asked, statedhe could cut upto 20mm steel "any shape you want mate"
Jim K

Or possibly a clockmaker.

Even a very simple hobbyist CNC mill is now at the stage where you can scan a part on an A4 scanner, paste the broken bit back from the remainder and then run it through Cambam to make G-code which you feed to Mach3 andd a simple mill. Waterjaet / laser is obviously better, as you don't have the problem of large cutter diameter.

so I understand.
why didn't it come up on the earlier gearmaking thread?
Jim K

Because that's a worm wheel. It really needs to be a different shape in section. It's also rather smaller than most window winders. However as it's a worm wheel, it's also (for once) quite easy to hob it.

This very question was jsut addressed in the making a gear thread
NT

Don:- Can you get the dimensions of the gear (thickness, outside diameter, number of teeth)? That'll let people know enough to see if they have the right gear cutters to do the job.
I'm assuming that it will be an Imperial Diametral Pitch, 14.5degree Pressure Angle gear, due to the age and origin.
regards Mark Rand RTFM

Rather depending on what is exactly needed, I can probably help make a new one.
Regards snipped-for-privacy@hotmmail.com
Donwill wrote:

Worst case just do like a mate of mine did with his Raglan Little John, he filed a new rack by hand, in your case file the gear by hand and if done with care it'll likely outlive you as the original is likely somewhat older.

Have you looked on HPC gears website to see if they do one: http://www.hpcgears.com/ You can download their technical indexes from: http://www.hpcgears.com/technical.htm If you have difficulty finding what you want, there's also a technical enqiry form on that page for downloading in pdf format that you can fill in and send to them or you can ring them on 01246268080 They also do custom made gears but these would be expensive.
Alan
--
snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk
snipped-for-privacy@riscos.org

Just because he drives an Alvis doesn't mean he can afford HPC's prices!
Last time I nearly bought something from the HPC catalogue I found it was actually cheaper to have it made for me (Llewellin's in Bristol).