rust removal

Hello folks,
I have just discovered a large hoard of very good quality
hand tools in an old shed.They were wrapped up in an old hessian
sack,and are red with rust.
Rather than try to de/rust them individually,I want to try and do them
all together.
Has anyone got any tried and tested [non/serious chemical :o} ]
method of de/rusting them. Some one suggested COCA COLA..... hmmm?
Have not tried that yet.
Any ideas welcomed,
All the best for now,
John.
Reply to
john .j.morton.
BugBear
Reply to
bugbear
soak them in parrafin, it should then lift of with a light rub with some scotch brite
Reply to
Tim Bird
John
I have had excellent results using the electrolytic method - plastic bucket with washing soda and a car battery charger - see the following link:
Regards,
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
Ditto. It's cheap, almost labour free and works well. You still need to remove the residue (the oxygen has been removed from the ferrous-oxide, leaving the ferrous bit) with a scrubbing brush or similar, but it's much easier and more successful than scrubbing away rust.
Mark
Reply to
Mark Howard
you can use ordinary salt in the electrolyte, not as good as caustic soda though. I haven't tried mollassses but I am told if you stick rusty steel in mollasses and leave it for a week or so it will come out clean. I gather a salt and vinegar solution works quite well, make sure the steel is completely submerged as it will rust like hell at the waterline[vinegarline] if you don't.
I tried cola, both coca cola and tesco super 6.5p a litre, and after being submerged for a few weeks I couldn't see any change in the lightly rusted item I dunked in the stuff. the phosphoric acid is very very weak so maybe leaving it a few months might do the trick...
Reply to
richard
An overnight soak in vinegar. Rinse in hot running water,dry, and oil.
Steve R.
Reply to
Steve Rayner
Hello folks, Thank you all for the information and help,also for the warning regarding STAINLESS electrodes, I believe that the electrolytic method will be best. I am now off to B&Q to obtain the bits. All the best for now, John.
Reply to
john .j.morton.
The electrolyte is Washing Soda, (Sodium Carbonate) not Caustic Soda (Sodium Hydroxide)
Steve
Reply to
Steve