Sanity check

Well I've had a play with some of those formulas and I just want to run a sanity check on my numbers, so all of you chaps with pre-programmed pocket calculators please stand up :

50 inch EN1A bar 1 inch in diameter, load of 10 lbs in middle of the bar. What's the deflection ?

I'll tell you what I got when I've seen your answers :-)

Thanks,

Reply to
Boo

.037"

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Ah, I made it about 2 1/2 thou ? (I did forget to say the bar is supported both ends though.) 37 thou is nearly a millimeter which seems a long way for 10 lbs to move the middle of a 1 inch bar ?

Reply to
Boo

I'm surprised it's as little as 1mm; over four feet with 10lb stuck in the middle, I'd have though rather more than that.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

My calculations (ran it through BeamBoy) show 31 thou deflection including its own weight or 18.3 thou for the 10lb alone.

This assumes 29,000ksi for the Young's modulus, 0.284 lb/in³ for the density and 0.0491in^4 for the areal moment of inertia.

HTH

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Darn. The site for beamboy is out of bandwidth. How big is the download?

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Oops, I hope we haven't accidentally overloaded the chap's account. On the assumption that he allows free downloads, so won't mind, I've slapped my copy on my server. Try:-

It's just under 2MB big.

HTH

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Thanks. The geocities site was up this morning again before I read this. I have it now.

Wes

Reply to
clutch