Sharpening taps and dies

Is this possible by hand/difficult/easy with a Quorn? Any tips for hand sharpening, as I don't have a Quorn?

Thanx

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

It's possible with a Dremel. For dies run a ball stone inside the chip holes, for taps grind the wall of the gullet under the tapered cutting edge with a cylindrical stone.

My surface grinder is a Delta Toolmaker, with a tilting and swiveling wheel head that Prof. Chaddock may have copied:

patent drawings are dated 1942. It isn't the best design for grinding mirror-smooth surfaces, but it's versatile.

I don't have a sliding collet tool holder as nice as the Quorn's so I regrind the taper of large second-hand taps between centers on a swivel table. The resulting flat relief hasn't been a problem so far. It could be done in two steps like an end mill to reduce the relief angle behind the edge but still have clearance.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins