Square 'Doweling' source?

I'm struggling to find an online source for lengths of about 6mm sided square cross section wood. It just needs to be strong enough to build a box frame for tacking warped

3mm plywood to. Is there somewhere nice and cheap?

Thanks,

Scrim

Reply to
Scrim

B&Q, hardwood,but it might be 1/4"

Reply to
TT_Man

B&Q square softwood is 8mm minimum (in the stripwood rack) B&Q "hardwood" 12mm - in the mouldings rack but it's just pine and so not hard. I was down there rooting through their stock only the other day.

Best place for 6mm hardwood is a model shop - ask for balsa. You never said how hard you needed and balsa is a hardwood :)

Reply to
Mike

...sounds like a load of balsa to me...

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Thanks chaps. Actually I never mentioned hardwood (that was TT_Man) just "It just needs to be strong enough to build a box frame for tacking warped 3mm plywood to", which pretty much cuts out Balsa I reckon!

I was hoping there might be some nice online sources. My usual experience with travelling to a shop to buy is that it's too much hassle to look at alternatives for the cheapest. Add in the travel expenses and paying for postage buying online doesn't seem such a pricey alternative.

I think I'm going to go for 8mm square wood instead of the 6mm I originally chose. The stronger the better, but not at any cost.

Cheers,

Scrim

Reply to
Scrim

Howsabout buying a cheap bandsaw or circular saw - then you could make your own to whatever size you need.

dave

Reply to
NoSpam

from "Scrim"

I would suggest that you are on a hiding to nothing with this project. The warp in 3mm Plywood will be much stronger than any 6 or 8mm square timber of any specie will be able to correct.

You haven't said how 'warped' the plywood is, or it's other dimensions, so it is difficult to offer any good advice but if you can find 12 or

15mm square Ramin you might have a chance.

Ramin is what all small mouldings & dowels used to be cut from up to about 20 years ago but due to excessive harvesting is now restricted.

Balsa (ochroma lagopus) is an oddity as far as being a 'hardwood' is concerned. The quick and dirty method of determining 'Hard' or 'Soft' wood is that Evergreen is 'Soft' and Deciduous is 'Hard' but Balsa is described as Evergreen or 'dry season deciduous if the dry season is long'. It's 'strength to weight ratio' is its prime benefit.

JG

Reply to
JG

Moron!

Reply to
:Jerry:

Thanks to all (except :Jerry:) for the helpful contributions,

Scrim

Reply to
Scrim