Suppliers of small amounts of machinable materials.

Years ago there was a firm that used to supply 12ins lengths of brass rods, tube, tufnol (carp), acrylic, nylon etc in various diameters ; also tufnol,
duralimin & acrylic sheet and bar. I don't have their address , Its so long ago they probably don't even exist any more. There seems to be so many "new" plastic materials available which I don't recognise and I am not aware of their properties, some guidance would be appreciated Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced source for small quantities of the above. Regards Don

J A Crew
Woburn Sands ?
Bought off him when we were in Luton
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk http://www.oldengine.co.uk

http://www.jacrew.net
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk http://www.oldengine.co.uk
Try these few, I've used them all in the last 12months, all do 12"/300mm lengths or less as the price goes up.
http://www.collegeengineering.co.uk / http://www.btinternet.com/~ekp.supplies / http://www.maccmodels.co.uk / http://www.metal2models.btinternet.co.uk/cataloguemenu.htm http://www.mallardmetals.co.uk/ http://www.nogginend.com/index.htm
Jason
--
jasonballamy
Guy Fawkes wrote:

Email them and tell them that they are using a non-compliant browser and so cannot order from them and you are letting your friends know.
--

Neil
reverse ra and delete l

Microsoft's
browsers
the
your
need
wallet.
like I

and
Cut the chap some slack. He's a one man band - why not offer to give him some help if you're so computer saavy.
AWEM
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Hear Hear! When I visited the original owner several years ago, he told me that someone else had set up the website and that he had to go back (and pay i assume) each time for changes. The business is now under new ownership and I don't know how computer savvy the guy is or if the business makes enough money to justify subcontracting a re-write the e-commerce side of the business.
Bob
On Sat, 16 May 2009 12:32:55 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"

Or just get the I.E. View Firefox extension - right click on the page and open it up in I.E. I use it for the odd site that won't play ball with Firefox.
Regards,
--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenetgmx.net
Stephen Howard wrote: [...]

Windows only, I'm afraid ...
On or around Sun, 17 May 2009 08:34:27 +0100, Peter Fairbrother

then port it, dear liza, dear liza...
Austin Shackles wrote:

Port IE to a 'nix? If the source was available... nah, if the little Windows source I've seen is anything to go by it's probably too horrible for anything.
The doodah in question opens pages/links in an IE window. You have to have IE to do that. I already have Firefox/Iceweasel in several dozen covens of 'nixen ..
OT, I once was talking to a Microsoft guy who might actually be able to arrange it, and who had asked me [1], and I suggested that MS should open the source for Windows - not saying for free, or implying any loss of legal IP rights, their source, their ideas (if any), just open the source so we could see what Windows *actually* does ...
[1] he asked me why we didn't use Windows in secure systems. I suggested making the source available, then we might be able to design security systems using Windows - 'cos we can't use Windows for secure stuff now, because we don't know what it does (and don't mention optimising compilers with randomisation, and the problem of confirming whether binary X came from source X ... Grrrr!)
... but he said no, and well ... on reflection, I can't say overall I'm too unhappy about that.
-- Peter F

It was designed on a 'nix.
'course, it was called NCSA Mosaic in those days :-(
Mark Rand RTFM
Andrew Mawson wrote:

[..]
err - they aren't actually using the browser, and neither are you - :)

Had some emails with the webmaster on this point a year or two ago, but they're on another computer, so I'll just give my vague rememberings rather than the full gory ..
The owner doesn't do the website himself - and the webmaster is clueless, cranky and puffed-up with his own self-importance. He most certainly would not let anyone help (I offered).
Basically the owner needs to get a new webmaster, but aiui his stock and payments systems are linked to the website, they are nonstandard and undocumented, and the only person who understands them is the webmaster.
The owner is in a bind .. doesn't want the webmaster, but can't get rid of him.
(I also have the vague impression that the webmaster was related or something, but that might be to the old owner)
I know someone who'd do him a complete new system, with data entry (the expensive bit, but probably necessary) and standard software with full documentation for about 3-5 grand, assuming the code is not deliberately obfuscated, if anyone's interested.
-- Peter Fairbrother
.

bah, the whole thing inc pukka ecommerce website, own mirrored home server on broadband and a barcode scanner for stock control would barely use up a grand.***
but the fact is everyone is making excuses for the guy, if his web guy is an asshole sack him, he won't lose anything in sales compared to what he is losing (assuming his product and customer service is worth anything) by having a broken, and shite, website.
*** cobalt raq for fifty quid for home mirrored server servage hosting account for a fiver a month barcode scanner and wedge for forty quid barcode printer for hundred and fifty quid nochex account to take plastic in eshop fifty quid dpd account for delivery is free
so far we're up to 300 quid up front and a fiver a month for hosting.
all the rest is free open source eg oscommerce for the webshop
this is the *right* way to do it because it means that anyone who knows his asshole from his elbow can walk in, look around, see familiar standard tools and protocols, and sit right down and do any work.
out of a grand budget this leaves about 700 for customisation, training if required for the guy, and documentation.
============as it is all I can know is what I see, which is someone who doesn't want my money, unless he can first order me around and tell me what software I must run in order to do him a favour and give him some money, and that shit doesn't fly.
times of recession are times of opportunity, from what I can see this guy is merely declaring his intention to cease trading, clearly keeping his current web guy happy means more than keeping customers and making sales.
Guy Fawkes wrote:

I expect that Crew will survive without your custom. I'm sure you must be a real joy to do business with.
Bob
.

Yeah, I am, I don't mess around, waste time, or order the wrong thing or stuff on spec, I pay cash on the nail and if the first purchase is satisfactory I stick with you. I also recommend you to others, a recommendation that always generates new business and new customers.
that makes me an ideal customer.
invitation to treat offer acceptance/contract
that's all there is to business
as for Crew (who I had never heard of before this thread) surviving without my custom, I'll say this, I have yet to come across a business that ceased trading that did not think they could do without n customer's custom, and generally speaking when you dug a little deeper all those customers wanted was to buy something and get what they paid for, with both sides being happy with the deal.
it is a sad state of affairs when all concept of service has disappeared from service industries, and when customers who know what they want and have no problem saying it, or saying what problems they have (so that the business has an opportunity to address them) are seen by the likes of yourselves as "problem" customers.
Have a nice day..
Guy Fawkes wrote:

I've been trading with Crew for at least 25 years. No problem with the service or indeed when I visited them to sell him some stock. I agree the web interface is poor but he still has good stuff promptly dispatched at very good prices.
Cheers
Bob

Bob. I can't see any of Mr. Fawkes messages so I must have put him on my blocked senders list at some time in the past. Having now seen your quotation from his posting I now realise why I did so, and fully agree with your comment.
Cliff Coggin.

doesn't
what
this
customers
must be

blocked
quotation from

comment.
Could Mr Fawkes be persuaded to concentrate on his proper area of expertise, and devise a method (more successful than the last he used) of blowing up Parliament ?
AWEM