Suppliers of small amounts of machinable materials.

Years ago there was a firm that used to supply 12ins lengths of brass rods, tube, tufnol (carp), acrylic, nylon etc in various diameters ; also tufnol, duralimin & acrylic sheet and bar. I don't have their address , Its so long ago they probably don't even exist any more. There seems to be so many "new" plastic materials available which I don't recognise and I am not aware of their properties, some guidance would be appreciated Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced source for small quantities of the above. Regards Don

Reply to
Donwill

J A Crew

Woburn Sands ?

Bought off him when we were in Luton

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Donwill used his keyboard to write :

I bought a bag full of brass and alloy of cuts from a local scrap yard, at a good price, but obviously they don't keep any none metals.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Don, I suspect you may be recalling KR Whiston of New Mills Stockport He of the "seen my cat? fame. He retired having advertised the business for sale in one of the catalogues in the late 70's IIRC. His staff bought the business but it soon went downhill and closed a few years later. RSWWW.com is a possible source but quite expensive

Also try

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

quantities of the

Stockport

business

Ken Whiston: One of the (late) Proops brothers bought the odd ends of heavy section special steels - and when he had to clear his warehouse I bought what I could fit in the back of a Volvo estate - gawd knows how the rear suspension survived that journey - I still have quite a bit of it stacked in ammo boxes from my move last year. It's STILL b****y heavy !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Try these few, I've used them all in the last 12months, all do 12"/300mm lengths or less as the price goes up.

Jason

Reply to
jasonballamy

Ive bought plastics from:

small metal bits and bobs from metalsontheweb

Dave

Reply to
Dave S

Many thanks for your replies and forbearance, Yes I think it was Whiston/

Cheers Don

Reply to
Donwill

I bought some PVC from Davis Industrial Plastics in Crawley - they sell small quantities on eBay or if you are local there is no minimum order. They've got all the non-metal stuff you mentioned

Reply to
Robin

You could try Mallard Metals for some of that stuff, they are at

Hth

Reply to
mikedavies4828

Wx?}RMoÓ@½?S¹§SÓRQA+©!PÅq³?ÄÓnfV»ãØþ÷Ì:- È!+{ÇïkÞg?Õ[¸÷ÓVëÕj_P1à ÜIÞb³¨?-aÓ4ï??Q? Mÿt¶×K²(®]ã®èz~?¦õr9 CóèC?±®?týk¢??: ?n?{@èü¡5ò ?v^a?|Fè ñ

Reply to
Guy Fawkes

Email them and tell them that they are using a non-compliant browser and so cannot order from them and you are letting your friends know.

Reply to
Neil

Microsoft's

browsers

wallet.

Cut the chap some slack. He's a one man band - why not offer to give him some help if you're so computer saavy.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Hear Hear! When I visited the original owner several years ago, he told me that someone else had set up the website and that he had to go back (and pay i assume) each time for changes. The business is now under new ownership and I don't know how computer savvy the guy is or if the business makes enough money to justify subcontracting a re-write the e-commerce side of the business.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Or just get the I.E. View Firefox extension - right click on the page and open it up in I.E. I use it for the odd site that won't play ball with Firefox.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

[..]

err - they aren't actually using the browser, and neither are you - :)

Had some emails with the webmaster on this point a year or two ago, but they're on another computer, so I'll just give my vague rememberings rather than the full gory ..

The owner doesn't do the website himself - and the webmaster is clueless, cranky and puffed-up with his own self-importance. He most certainly would not let anyone help (I offered).

Basically the owner needs to get a new webmaster, but aiui his stock and payments systems are linked to the website, they are nonstandard and undocumented, and the only person who understands them is the webmaster.

The owner is in a bind .. doesn't want the webmaster, but can't get rid of him.

(I also have the vague impression that the webmaster was related or something, but that might be to the old owner)

I know someone who'd do him a complete new system, with data entry (the expensive bit, but probably necessary) and standard software with full documentation for about 3-5 grand, assuming the code is not deliberately obfuscated, if anyone's interested.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Stephen Howard wrote: [...]

Windows only, I'm afraid ...

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

On 17 May, 07:23, Peter Fairbrother wrote: .

bah, the whole thing inc pukka ecommerce website, own mirrored home server on broadband and a barcode scanner for stock control would barely use up a grand.***

but the fact is everyone is making excuses for the guy, if his web guy is an asshole sack him, he won't lose anything in sales compared to what he is losing (assuming his product and customer service is worth anything) by having a broken, and s**te, website.

*** cobalt raq for fifty quid for home mirrored server servage hosting account for a fiver a month barcode scanner and wedge for forty quid barcode printer for hundred and fifty quid nochex account to take plastic in eshop fifty quid dpd account for delivery is free

so far we're up to 300 quid up front and a fiver a month for hosting.

all the rest is free open source eg oscommerce for the webshop

this is the *right* way to do it because it means that anyone who knows his asshole from his elbow can walk in, look around, see familiar standard tools and protocols, and sit right down and do any work.

out of a grand budget this leaves about 700 for customisation, training if required for the guy, and documentation.

as it is all I can know is what I see, which is someone who doesn't want my money, unless he can first order me around and tell me what software I must run in order to do him a favour and give him some money, and that shit doesn't fly.

times of recession are times of opportunity, from what I can see this guy is merely declaring his intention to cease trading, clearly keeping his current web guy happy means more than keeping customers and making sales.

Reply to
Guy Fawkes

I expect that Crew will survive without your custom. I'm sure you must be a real joy to do business with.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin