Tangential/Diamond tool holders.

Hi all.

Stumbled across these as the result of another thread on turning tools generally - for example this sort of thing:

and (commercial site)
To me, these seem like rather a good idea - in particular sharpening HSS bits for general purpose turning becomes a breeze (in theory at least) but lack of general adoption makes me think that there's something I've missed. One thing that comes to mind is unless you have a couple of sharpening, getting anything other than a single angle of top-rake is difficult.

Are there any opinions from the group?

Thanks,

Youra.

Reply to
Youra

Thanks for pointing that out. I'd never heard of this method of tool holding but it certainly seems to have advantages. I particularly like the idea of using round HSS blanks to make accurate round nosed tools. Has anyone used one of these in anger ? Obvious question is does the tool ever slip down the holder due to the cutting forces ?

Reply to
lfoggy

Hi youra, I take it you did not see one demonstrated at last years Model Engineering Exhibition at Ascot. They had one on the SMEE stand, They seem to take off either dust or 4mm or any where in between, on mild steel using a Myford.. Beauty seems to be they are SO simple to sharpen, and easily adjusted to centre hieght, no more packing stips. Having seen one I was interested and made one, then did some research, they are certainly not new, earliest reference I could find was 1885. They are also used in old style roller boxes. Make one and be a convert. T.W.

Reply to
the wizard

Old technology but works extremely well.Very common on Multispindle lathes,capstans and turrets.Inserted tip tools of this type were also available as was brazed tips. The process is called tangential turning.

Reply to
mark

Here`s a link to a months worth of reading.

mark

I looked at the "Diamond" toolholder in a magazine article or advert, and decided I wanted one, but not enough to spend over $100 for it, so I made one.

Mine fits the category of "crude but very effective". I built it entirely on the Myford lathe on which it was to be used, to see if I could. It works very well.

I did not bother trying to get it exactly as shown in the advert, but just built it in a way that the tool could cut into a corner, so that I could both turn and face at a single setting.

I use it a lot.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

If the tool slips, it moves away from the part, rather than digging in.

FWIW, the rather crudely built unit that I made, uses one 1/4" screw to clamp the tool. and I have stalled the 3/4 HP motor on my S7 without moving the bit in the holder.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Links to pictures would be clicked. Can you do them?

Reply to
_

I'll dig them out and post them where they can be seen.

That about covers it.

Not fancy, but has served me for a bit over ten years now.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones