The milling machine quest - part 3

At the show today and considering my failure to find a decent secondhand Bridgy, I was tempted by the Chester 836 (Bridgeport copy?). Seemed a reasonable machine for just under =A33K. Warco have an equivalent one as well looked much better finished but also a fair bit dearer and lacking the power feed which is included with the Chester machine. Has anyone got any actual experience of these machines? Or has anyone who "knows" about milling machines had a good look and would be willing to add few comments on their likely performance?

Regards - hopeful of South Wales

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Nope.

But to throw you off at a tangent I saw this machine in the flesh last week.Don't know if it suits your needs...

tidy, very honest machine with an honest vendor (no, it's not me or a friend of mine). Didn't get the dial gauge on it though!

Charles

Visit

The free pages to buy and sell workshop equipment

Reply to
Charles Ping

Very tidy, very honest machine with an honest vendor (no, it's not me

Charles

Thanks for the heads up, I was actually looking at one similar yesterday but it was a LOT more money, I'll keep an eye on it. Small world, I need to check but I'm almost sure a friend of mine bought some aircraft tools off him a little while ago - seemed happy with the deal. I'm very easy to divert on all sorts of tangents, so much so, that being fed up with not being able to decide/find a decent milling machine I think I'm going to stop collecting a workshop and go back to building a kit car.

I spent yesterday at the show looking for some inspiration but didn't seem to find anything that triggered any passion. Sad to say that I don't know enough to pick out a "goodun" and I seem reluctant to bite the bullet and buy new - perhaps this is not the world for me. Thanks very much for taking the trouble to reply I appreciate it; the group obviously has a huge reserve of knowledge but with a few very helpful exceptions, I haven't had much success lately in asking the "right" questions. Ah well perhaps I will feel better tomorrow?

Thanks again, best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

You don't say where you live Kieth. all I can say, really, is if there was a person asking the same questions here who lived within 20 miles travelling distance of me (prestatyn). I would volunteer to help them look at these machine tools. and would do my best to assist and point them hopefully in the right direction. just tell us where you live ..and there may be a knowledgeable guy here who lives down the road from you and can help you look over some machines.

all the best............mark

Reply to
mark

I find that

is often good for curing those visit the show blues and inducing acute case of 'workshopping'

While "Table Size 48" x 12". Motorised Overarm (Speeds 100 - 1300 RPM Horizontal Spindle Speeds 25 - 1500 RPM. 3 Axis DRO. Double Swive Vertical Head. Spindle Tooling. Horizontal Arbor Bracket. 15" Di Rotary Table. Set of Precision Arbor Spacers. 2 x Clarckson Autolo Chucks. 2 x Vices. Angle Plate." isn't what you want, it is only £375 at the moment (and anothe auction sold a Denford Milling Centre for £700)

Regards Robi

-- rss

----------------------------------------------------------------------- rsss's Profile:

this thread:

rsss

Mark, thank you very much for your kind offer of help and support, I expect you guessed that it hasn't been my best day. Unfortunately, we are a long way apart and although I live in the same country I'm at the opposite end near Bridgend. I am very pleased to say however that another forum member who lives close to me has offered to provide a second pair of eyes when/if I find something to look at. I have to admit that the problem really lies with me and I do need to decide what I will be doing with the machine I buy.

Bad day or not it has certainly lifted my spirits to realize that there are many others here who are willing to give up their time to provide advice and help. Thank you very much.

All the very best Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Robin, thanks, that is certainly a site I hadn't found so I will add it to my favourites and keep tabs on what is available. You are possibly right, "retail therapy" is something that usually gets me into the workshop if only to play with the new toys. I obviously didn't buy enough yesterday - I'll make a note to do better next time. I could always tell her indoors "I had to buy it to make me feel better", I don't suppose I will need to spend too long in hospital .....!! Then again I just can't duck as quickly as I used to.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Would you please quote what you are replying to so that people who haven't seen the previous post know what the hell is going on.

-- Dave Baker

Reply to
Dave Baker