Cincinnati 1 1/2 universal milling machine

I saw an add for an "old milling machine" and took a little road trip yesterday. The add was not very descriptive but since I had the day off, it's spring in Florida, and it's a very pretty country drive, I didn't push the seller for many details when I called.

We took the tarps off the mill and it was an old cone head Cincinnati 1 1/2 universal. It looks to be fairly complete and in decent shape. There are a couple of weld repairs, 1 in a spherical gear cover of some sort on the back and 1 in the base. There is 1 chip on the knee way up fairly high on the right. The table rotates, the X and Y axis move stiffly. I could not get the knee handle to engage the splines so I did not try that. I could not get the spindle to rotate. Something is obviously missing on the right side of the table.

The seller had originally listed it at $800, then dropped it to $600. I offered $400. Seller told me if I didn't take it now for $600 he was going to raise the price back to $800 (he has done so in the add). He seemed to think I was desperate because I took a lot of pictures. If I had bought the machine I would not need all the pictures.

Old machines are interesting, but right now I want a mill for my project, not a mill as a project. For $400 I was willing to give it a home under a roof and get to it in the future some time. The seller seems to be of a mood that e will leave it under the tarp indefinitely if he can't get his $600 or maybe now $800. The seller inherited this from his father-in-law 6 months ago, took it out of the shop when they sold that, and had had it under a couple of perforated tarps since. I am tempted to keep my mouth shut and watch this machine to see if he gives in on the price, but I hate to see it rust any more that it already is. pictures in RCM drop box, cinci_1&half.txt, etc.

If he sells it for $400 it should be mine, If it's worth more to any of y'all feel free. it's on craigslist, ocala florida, search for milling. Feel free to tell me I have rocks in my head for walking away from this at $600, I had that much in my pocket.

Carl Boyd

Reply to
Carl Boyd

I understand how you might feel about "old iron", but if I couldn't get everything to work (knee, spindle) now, I'd leave it alone and forget it. It's not just getting things to move, either. What about wear? If it needs even one part that you can't make, your good deal could turn into a heavy piece of junk to get rid of in no time.

You have already said that you don't want a "project". Why not try advertising for a used milling machine in local papers or on craigslist? That way, anybody who answers your ad has one more of them than they need, so you are in the driver's seat.

I also note that you didn't say anything about tooling. I'm sure you know that tooling cost can easily outwiegh initial purchase cost. If you get a used machine that is in service, you'll probably get some tooling with it.

Not try> I saw an add for an "old milling machine" and took a little road trip > yesterday.

Reply to
spaco

?x?uR±?Û0 Ýý?ˤ?¢S/¸á ÈRh???ÍXDdÑ©þûRvîZ£èbHæÓã{

Reply to
Carl

Knowing your price and not getting nuts is a good thing. Maybe you will help it find a good home by posting . I sold a tractor once. Wanted 500 bucks. Paid 250 for it years earlier thinking my uncle would come back and want it. He came back, didn't want it. I figured I'd get a return on my money or it would set there until I died. The buyer kicked a bit but now it is his. I hope I charged enough to get a serious buyer/restorer for it.

Wes

Wes

Greetings- for the sake of $200 you might be without a mill for another ten years until you find the perfect buy. Over the years, I have found I have been more disappointed from not buying something than the opposite. My 2 cents, Jim

Reply to
JimL

Cant speak for Florida, but I can get Cinci and Miwaulkee #2s in good running condition for between $250-500, here in California. I actually installed a Milwakee (Kearny Trecker) yesterday in a shop and taught the drones how to run it.

I brokered it to them for $375, with a couple arbors and a vise.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Make that "1-half":

But beware - they're 3000 x 2400 pixels, 1.4MB each. Dial-ups don't bother.

To make those pix good net sizes, here is some nice freeware;

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt