How to change glossy Lexan (polycarbonate) surface to matte

Our operators just made a huge mistake. They processed the Lexan sheet upside down. One side of this sheet is glossy and the other side is matte. I am wondering if someone can give me some idea how to change the glossy surface to matte (chemical or physical method). We hope we could do it in our own plant. If someone know some company might do this, please tell me, too.

Thank you so much.

Lily snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Lily Liu

Microabrasives.

Maybe exposing it to solvent vapors?

John

Reply to
John Spevacek

Thank you for responding. Do you have any idea which kind of solvent vapors I should use and how? thank you.

Reply to
Lily Liu

Thank you for responding. Do you have any idea which kind of solvent vapors I should use and how? Thank you!

Reply to
Lily Liu

I've heard of suspending sheets in solvent vapors to remove defects, making the surface smooth, not rough. In this case it was acrylic. I suppose it would have a the same effect with PC.

Reply to
JohnR

Most likely Methylene Chloride. You might do a search using "vapor honing" which I think

is the name of the process. Keep in mind that the solvent is heated and vaporized which is an obvious hazard.

Reply to
Billy Hiebert

I would just use a fine sandpaper. This will take the gloss off without damaging the surface. Wet/dry paper is probably the best. Try 400 grit or above.

Reply to
<rocketrod63