Plastics Additives Manufacturing – How??

I'm interested in the Manufacturing Process for all types of Plastics Additives. However, not knowing a great deal about the subject, I wondered if anyone can help explain it to me or point me in the direction of a relevant resource.

I'm particularly interested in processes involving powders as these are known throughout many industries to cause all sorts of handling problems. Having said that, are liquids more common for additives manufacture?

Any help or information greatly appreciated!

Simon

Reply to
Simon

Plastics additives, as in: Pigments Dyes Antioxidants Thermal Stabilizers UV absorbers UV crosslinkers Thermal crosslinkers Fillers Tackifiers Plasticizers Extenders Fibers Compatiblizers Nucleating agents Foaming agents plus other materials.

Could you narrow this list down for us just a tad?

John

Reply to
John Spevacek

Hi John, thanks for they reply.

To be honest, I'm interested in the manufacturing process for all of them! However, I'll settle for the most commonly produced. I also understand that not all of them use powders in their manufacture (eg. Plasticisers) - am I right?

Thanks,

Simon

Reply to
Simon

The list that I provided earlier is extremely broad covering all areas of chemistry and extensive physics including colloidal science. Most of them are unrealted to the others as well. There are books on "Polymer Additives" that can be quite large, but they have chapters that are donated by various authors as the subject is too large for any one individual to be able to write about the subject with any credibility.

Yes they are not all powders, both as a final product as well as the starting materials. Plasticizers may or may not be liquid depending on the melting temperature.

John

Reply to
John Spevacek