uhmw low temperature thermoplastic

I am a science teacher at an elementary school and we have a very limited budget, so...I am trying to find the material in this product, so that I may buy it in bulk at a reduced price if possible. Any ideas to its composition and a source? thanks, rick

rick fetters

how many do you need?, must it be UHMW- PE? Or do you just need a material which is easy to handle?

First of all: check if the "expensive" UHMW is nessesary or your application...

the second way:

Ask your local supplier, perhaps they have a Budget to suipply schools... here in germany this is not an exotic way...

Michael I am not a bug I am a undocumented feature

Reply to
Michael Erwerle

Rick, You can contact them through POTS(plain old telephone system) at (904)

388-8209 or snail mail at 11111-70 San Jose Blvd., Jacksonville, FL. 32257. They will talk to "educators" about their products.

Found under a google search.

boer

Reply to
boer

No patents that I am aware of pertain to this product. It is selling for $50 a kg and that seems very expensive to me. I should rephrase my question, is there a polymer that has similar properties that I could purchase in 10 to 50 kg quantities at considerably lower cost per kg? If not, could someone enlighten me to why the cost is so high? My knowledge of polymer chemistry is very rudimentary. Assuming the manufacturer/producer of this product is not severely price gauging, what ingredient and/or manufacturing process would cause such a high cost?

thanks, rick

Reply to
rick fetters

A quick look at the website convinces me that it is not UHMWPE, as it melts at 150 F. UHMWPE needs 140 - 150 C in order to melt, and then a great deal of pressure to get it to move anywhere.

Given the dearth of information, I would guess that it is an acrylate of some sort, although a plasticized polystyrene could be another possibility. Both of these materials would be clear, not the hazy white that you see in some plastic food storage containers. Can you verify that this is correct?

Along the same lines, what properties are you looking for in a material? $50/kg is outrageously expensive for any type of polymer except for the most exotic of applications and performance needs. If you can tell us what you need, we might be able to suggest a commodity alternative.

John

Reply to
John Spevacek

that must be an nice type...we tried to use a UHMWPE in an classical mold... we need for a type witch is something betwee UHMW and HD PE obout 350°C and high pressure to fill the mold... the material was nearly at the pyrolytacal decay...

and this type didn´t codt 50$/kg when I am right it was something about 5§

what ist the price of PES?

or POM... or HDPE or LDPE

perhaps you´ve senn the Properties of HDPE and the price was something about 50 Cent /kg?

oh... don´t you work with PEEK? or Kalrez?

some of the applications are not so exotic and I am shure you use such exotic polymers every day....

that will be a nice possibility...