Heat Transfer in Ice Cream Scoop?

We've had a cast aluminum ice cream scoop in our kitchen tool collection for over thirty years. (Metal content.) It has no moving parts, and is sort of trowel shaped with a flat front edge.

It's marked "Roll Dipper Co., Maumee, OH", but I can't Google up anything for that name.

It has a hollow handle with an aluminum plug crimped into the end.

What's puzzling me is that when I shake it it feels like there is liquid inside the handle.

Did/do they ever make ice cream scoops with a heat transfer medium inside the handle to move the heat from your hand down to the blade, or is what I'm feeling maybe just water which gets in past a leak at the end plug when the scoop is run through the dishwasher?

Somewhere in the crevices of my mind I think I remember reading something about sodium metal being used for things like that.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

You're right, the liquid is there to take heat from your hand and warm up the scoop so it cuts the ice cream better. We have too of them, I think both made by Zeroll. They're pretty cool, and they work, or at least they seem too. I rarely use anything else so I guess I wouldn't really know.

-Will

Reply to
Will

Yes.

Not for ice cream scoops. Not a liquid at that temperature.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Yeah, my memory just woke up, reminding me that it was some engine exhaust valves that used sodium in the stems, wasn't it?

And while looking at eBay to see if my "antique" scoop might be listed there I came up with this:

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote: (clip) Somewhere in the crevices of my mind I think I remember reading something about sodium metal being used for things like that. ^^^^^^^^^^^^ In the crevices of MY mind, I recall that sodium was used inside hollow exhaust valves on high performance engines. Sodium would not be liquid at ice cream temperatures, or even room temperature. But, if you combine your two thoughts 1.) Water leaking in and 2.) Sodium, you come up with an interesting and unwanted chemical reaction. The heat from that reaction WOULD melt ice cream. :-)

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

||Somewhere in the crevices of my mind I think I remember reading ||something about sodium metal being used for things like that.

Valve stems in heavy duty engines. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Right about the hand heat, but not why. The antifreeze is there to keep the ice cream from sticking to the scoop by keeping the scoop surface above freezing. Cutting isn't appreciably affected, because next to no melting occurs in the bulk of the product.

It always annoys me when I see people park this type of scoop in the ice cream bucket. Completely defeats the design.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

The one I have sounds similar. As I recall, the instructions said to warm it with hot water, but also advised against putting it in the dishwasher.

Reply to
Billy Hiebert

Liquid Sodium is used in Diesel exhaust valves for this purpose. Your hand isn't quite hot enough to liquify Sodium, however!

But, even water has a high specific heat, and if the handle were left in hot water, it would carry enough heat to keep the scoop working for quite a number of dippings. I think ice cream parlors have a micro-sink next to the freezer cases that runs a little warm water over their scoops.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

ooops, this was supposed to go to the group, not your email. Sorry Richard...

--------------- Yeah, I think you're right about sticking being the purpose. But I think it would still help cut better. If the scoop is above freezing temp, you're going to have a (very thin) layer of melted ice cream between the scoop and the ice cream, so it would cut through the ice cream a little better by not sticking as it goes. But I'm really just guessing at all of this. . .

-Will

Reply to
Will

Would it help to think of it as a TiN coating for the toolbit? :o) Or lead in brass or graphite in cast iron since it's self-lubricating...

Tim

-- "I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --+ Metalcasting and Games:

Tim Williams

My wife just bought a new microwavable ice cream scoop that you mwave for about 10 seconds, then use it. Seems to work OK.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

That's because the harsh alkalies in automatic dishwasher detergent eat aluminum. Aluminum items will get a grey coating.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

As others have posted it contains an antifreeze solution of some sort. But as an ex soda jerk, the scoops they had at Baskin Robbins were stainless steel and were kept in water. To scoop we would remove the scoop from the water and tap it on the sponge. The scoops released just fine. The trick was not to dally with ice cream in the scoop or it would stick.

The kind of scoops you had were used by soda fountains to make their sundaes look bigger by curling a hollow scoop. Part of the ice cream experience is lost however when the proper degree of compression is not achieved. Allow me to explain, when ice cream is manufactured the freezer whips air into the product and then it is poured into the tubs and popped into the freezer. When served, the act of scooping squeezes the little fat globules closer together so when it hits your tongue you get that intense sweet creamy taste and velvety feel.

You can try this at home. Cut a small chunk of ice cream from the carton and compare it to a similar size chunk of compressed ice cream.

Milk shakes however are best achieved with more air not less. To make a thick milk shake the trick is to allow the carton of milk to set in the freezer until it becomes slushy. Use chilled syrup and small chunks of ice cream that you have shaved rather than compressed. The shake blender adds air and the icy milk allows the air to stay in solution long enough to drink. In the case of the milk shake, it is desirable to have the fat globules spaced further apart as it slides over your tongue as this gives you more of a refreshing experience.

If you have ever took a sip of a melted milk shake, the lack of air explains the over sweet and kind of greasy mouth feel that you experienced.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

My wife just found one from years ago - we forget when - liquid core. Much the same idea - I suspect a heat pipe of sorts.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:49:47 -0500, Richard J Kinch vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

How do you reason that anti-freeze in a handle is going to keep the scoop surface above freezing, unles by transfer from hand warmth?

Wouldn't you need to put the anti-freeze in the icecream to stop _it_ freezing, without outside heat?

Why do you think that heating the scoop would not aid cutting? Think ice skates. What other purpose would there be to warm to sccop?

**************************************************** I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry ........no I'm not.
Reply to
Old Nick

Isn't that what I said?

Eh?

There is no heat transfer or net phase change going on with ice skates and the comparison is pointless.

You "cut" ice cream by plastic deformation (like metal! metal content here!), not by melting. There is far too much frozen mass involved with far too little contact area for far too little time with a far too small reservoir of heat in the scoop for the ice cream to be melted more than incidentally.

I have a actively heated nickel-chromium (more metal!) grid ice cutter in my ice machine which takes about 20 minutes to cut all of 1/2" into an ice slab by *melting*. Cutting a frozen product by melting requires a large heat input, far more than an antifreeze-style ice cream scoop could provide. This is perhaps not intuitive or apparent without appreciating the thermodynamics and the latent heat of phase changes.

As I've said, to keep the scooped ball from sticking to the scoop, by melting a very thin layer in contact with the scoop surface. Typically even this wet layer re-freezes after the ball leaves the scoop, since ice cream is typically served in a slightly subcooled state (which is why you can get chunks of ice if the scoop is kept in warm water that drips into the product, thus the sponge accompanying the water bath at the ice cream parlor).

Reply to
Richard J Kinch
[ ... ]

Actually -- there is. The compression (body weight on edges) causes a phase change from solid to liquid inside the groove in the ice skate, thus lubricating its travel across the ice. When the skate has passed by, the water re-freezes quickly.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

In fact, I've heard you can hang a nice weight from a thin wire looped around a thick block of ice supported on the ends, and it will slowly slide through. But because the water freezes in the groove after the wire passes, the block won't be cut in two, instead it will always be supported...interesting!

Tim

-- "I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --+ Metalcasting and Games:

Tim Williams

The same thing can happen when using a bandsaw with too fine a tooth to cut a block of nylon.

Ask me how I know...sigh

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil? Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work. - L. Neil Smith

Reply to
Gunner