Model Rocket with Payload

Hello. I am working with an elementary school teacher on preparing a rocket that has a payload with an altimeter and a wireless camera. The goal is to show the students (mostly 7th and 8th graders) on a computer screen what is happening during liftoff, and then getting some data to vierify some of there predictions. It is a complex project, but we are going to take a stab at it.

Questions for this group are as follows:

  1. Does anyone know of someone, or know of any websites, resources, etc of a similar project? Obviously, to learn from someone who has been there is a great help!
  2. Does anyone know of any resources/websites that might have this type of equipment?
  3. Any other ideas of things that we might be able to do with payloads and demonstrating actual versus predicted data coming from a launch like this?

Thanks for any/all help!

-Mike-

Reply to
M. Sawalski

Camera:

Altimeter:
(this one may be too large for your purposes)

Many of the people on rec.models.rockets have flown altimeters, since we use them to deploy our parachutes. Fewer have done the camera thing, but it should be pretty straightforward with either of those systems. I believe standard practice is to mount the camera horizontally (so the lens looks straight out the side) and then use a mirror pointing down the length of the rocket, so that you get an image pointing downward, where there's something to see.

M. Sawalski wrote:

Reply to
Howdy

Ray Dunakin's book about camera payloads is at

There is a Yahoo group
about the Estes Oracle recording camera payload. The Oracle is easy to use and quite cheap.

There is a generic rocket video group at

I got one of the BoosterVision cameras but have not flown it on a rocket yet. I did put it on a friend's R/C helicopter and got some nice video.

The PerfectFlite Alt15WD is the official altimeter for the TARC

competition this year. It is a nice little gizmo.

Do you have much experience with model rockets? You should be able to get help from a local club. Take a look at

for the NAR secti> Camera:

purposes) ...

Reply to
Will Marchant