Decimal places [and regen] 2001

Hi, Up to now drawimgs have behaved as expected. When I changed the number of dec places to be displayed from 2 to less then the nominal value in dim properties greyed out without affecting the model.

Now I'm finding that reducing the dec places changes the nominal value and displays the dim in white requiring a regen. I only want to change the display, with the ability to Restore Values.

Does anyone know why this should be happening?

Thanks.

Reply to
kenny

: "kenny" wrote : Hi, : Up to now drawimgs have behaved as expected. When I changed the : number of dec places to be displayed from 2 to less then the nominal : value in dim properties greyed out without affecting the model. : : Now I'm finding that reducing the dec places changes the nominal : value and displays the dim in white requiring a regen. I only want : to change the display, with the ability to Restore Values. : : Does anyone know why this should be happening? : Chief troubleshooting technique (simple but effective) is to inquire as to what changed. If you say 'nothing', then the original process was never as regular and consistent as you imagined. Some source of variability lay hidden.

First, Pro/e has never had an open and obvious distinction between rounding (requiring regen) and truncating (a simple, cosmetic change in the number of decimal places). In earlier revs, 'Modify>Dim cosmetics' provided the equivalent of truncating, by chaning the number of decimal places 'shown'. In later revs (can't remember the breaking point), this ability of the program to change dimesnions cosmetically seems to have been lost, broken or buried.

Second, such things as created dimensions, which are simple measures, could have the number of decimals changed without requiring regen because they're passive and reflexive, not controlling, so a change in the number of decimal places was always, necessarily, cosmetic. The same could be said for weak sketch dimensions which might show up through a 'Show all', but, since they're passive, reactive, they couldn't control dimensions. Changes to them are also necessarily cosmetic and not requiring regen. How may dimensions of yours fall into such a non-regen-requiring category? How goes the process of elimination.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

As I work on several machines it is hard to say that nothing has changed.

I think I was thrown by what must have been an extreeme example with weak dimensions that must have satisfied the design intent. This threw up the rarely observed behaviour. For instance reducing 42.50 to 42.5 required a regen. Shows that all intent should be keyed in rather than accepting sketched values.

Reply to
kenny