Trim curves: some work, some don't

Here's the setup. The surface to trim is a truncated cone. An elipse is sketched on the same plane as the sketch of the revolve. Toward one side the elipse is projected, toward the other it's wrapped. The projected curve trims the surface just dandy but the wrapped curve won't even select to create the trim. In both cases, select the surface first, which puts it in the trim quilt box, expecting the selection of a trim curve or some other trimming object. Other than not being able to trim the surface with the wrapped curve, the new trim tool is very versatile. Seemed to me you could do this at one time. Buggy software?

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

Sounds like Pro/E doesn't think the curve is on the quilt. Regen, ReStart, ReBoot. If that doesn't work post the file somewhere? Have you tried to duplicate in a new file?

Reply to
gluteous maximus equus

Multiple attempts with old and new models (my example was new), but all with the same result.\

Other wierdness: when trying to pick the wrapped curve, it acted like two separate halves, but I couldn't pick both segments. So, I thought, why not make a composite (copied) curve. Couldn't even do that. Selected the wrapped curve, did ^C, deselect, ^V and it brought up a strange interface where it was looking for a sketch and solid geometry.

My only conclusion, so far, is that Wrap wasn't meant to drape closed loop curves on a surface. I don't know what else to make of it.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

Post an example file somewhere. I don't have any problem doing what [I can only imagine] you're doing using WF2.

Reply to
gluteous maximus equus

Did you get this critter sorted out?

Reply to
gluteous maximus equus

Yes and no. I got a closed sketch to trim a surface with a wrapped curve. But it was composed of multiple entitities, not the single curve of the elipse. I was thinking to try it when I got back to the office. I've got a later version of WF2 there. Might make a difference.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes