8 pin H-bridge chips?

I've been searching high and low for an 8 pin H-bridge (single motor) that can handle about 600ma current. I've yet to find one. Dual controllers
in 16 pin packages, no problem. Really low current 8 pin packages, also out there, but not what I'm looking for (yet.)
Can anyone suggest a single motor H-bridge for a 5V to 9V range that is about 600ma more or less?
have fun, DLC
* Dennis Clark snipped-for-privacy@frii.com www.techtoystoday.com *
ZETEX makes some nice bipolar h-bridge chips. Zetex ZHB6718 and the ZHB6790 come to mind. The lower voltage one works at 3v too. Digikey has them. The Vishay-Siliconix SI9988 h bridge is good too. Mouser sells these..
www.techtoystoday.com *

*
Thanks guys, both of those are prospects - I like the built in buffer of the SI9988 though.
DLC
* Dennis Clark snipped-for-privacy@frii.com www.techtoystoday.com *
Dennis Clark wrote:

That part may be more suited to your power requirements, but doesn't the TLE2506 also have a built-in buffer - that's why it can accept TTL/CMOS control inputs. No?
Mitch Berkson
: Dennis Clark wrote: : > Thanks guys, both of those are prospects - I like the built in buffer : > of the SI9988 though.
: That part may be more suited to your power requirements, but doesn't the : TLE2506 also have a built-in buffer - that's why it can accept TTL/CMOS : control inputs. No?
Mitch,
I've not been able to find anyone that sells the TLE5206 (or 2506), so it seems a moot point. Do you have a distributer name?
DLC
* Dennis Clark snipped-for-privacy@frii.com www.techtoystoday.com *
Dennis Clark wrote:

No. But they are used on the Motor Mind C.
Mitch

I just typed it into www.findchips.com and they came up with BasicEparts.com as having them in stock.
Alternatively send an email to Infineon to find a stocking distributor in your area.
--Chuck

Hey Dennis, try a google search on comp.misc.robotics - Pioneer-Std. I remembered also that Randy Dumse was using this chip in an h-bridge.
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=TLE5206+&meta
- dan michaels www.oricomtech.com ===========================
Dennis Clark wrote:

If you can make do with only seven pins and a 6V minimum voltage, there's the Infineon TLE5206-2 (logic level control inputs). http://www.infineon.com/cmc_upload/documents/026/691/tle5206-2_20010619.pdf
Mitch Berkson
Greetings,
Dennis Clark wrote:

The Microchip TC4424 or 4427 would work.
--
Kyle A. York
Sr. Subordinate Grunt
DLC
* Dennis Clark snipped-for-privacy@frii.com www.techtoystoday.com *
Greetings,
Dennis Clark wrote:

I run a 4424 at 12v / 1 amp continuously without any problems & was under the impression it could run 3 amps if properly cooled.

--
Kyle A. York
Sr. Subordinate Grunt
: Dennis Clark wrote:
: > Kyle, : > : > : Dennis Clark wrote: : > : > I've been searching high and low for an 8 pin H-bridge (single motor) that : > : > can handle about 600ma current. I've yet to find one. Dual controllers : > : > in 16 pin packages, no problem. Really low current 8 pin packages, also : > : > out there, but not what I'm looking for (yet.) : > : > : > : > Can anyone suggest a single motor H-bridge for a 5V to 9V range that is : > : > about 600ma more or less? : > : > : The Microchip TC4424 or 4427 would work. : > : > So far as I can tell, these can't handled more than about 100ma steady : > state current. The can deal 1.5Amps to charge the gate capacitance of a : > MOSFET, but they can't deliver that kind of current steadily.
: I run a 4424 at 12v / 1 amp continuously without any problems & was : under the impression it could run 3 amps if properly cooled.
: > : > DLC
: -- : Kyle A. York : Sr. Subordinate Grunt : DSBU
* Dennis Clark snipped-for-privacy@frii.com www.techtoystoday.com *

The easy way to compute this is to take RTheta(ja) for your package type (let's use the PDIP at 125 degrees C/Watt), Max junction temperature at 150 degrees C and the Max Rds value of 5 ohms. So make wattage we want coming out of the junction is 150/125+25 (ambient) or 1.0 watts. Power dissipation is i^2R so we know R is 5 ohms, so 1/5 = 0.2 and sqrt(0.2) = .45 Amps. That's worse case. If the Rds stays around nomimal (3.5 ohms) that figure goes 1/3.5 = .286 sqrt() = .53 Amps. Running an amp continuously through the package would be bad.
However, if you do _anything_ to improve the thermal connection between the package and PC board it gets better. Or using a heat spreader on the package would help tremendously. If you want to get to say 2 amps output, assuming you're near the max Rds of 5 ohms, then the junction will be dissipating 20 watts, and the max temperature on the package can be 125 degrees C, you need a Rtheta(sa) of better than 6.25 dC/Watt. Certainly not impossible.
I would bet that putting on some glue on aluminum extrusions with .25 - .375" of height would get you to an amp continuous.
--Chuck
: Greetings, : Dennis Clark wrote:
: > : The Microchip TC4424 or 4427 would work. : > : > So far as I can tell, these can't handled more than about 100ma steady : > state current. The can deal 1.5Amps to charge the gate capacitance of a : > MOSFET, but they can't deliver that kind of current steadily.
: I run a 4424 at 12v / 1 amp continuously without any problems & was : under the impression it could run 3 amps if properly cooled. : > : > DLC Kyle,
I was testing the 4427 this evening at at 7.6V, 150ma the part got distinctly warm. The voltage drop in the parts got pretty high too, only about 3V got to the motor leads at 150ma. It can obviously handle this much current, but it seems that higher currents are not in the cards for the 4427 at least, not with that kind of voltage drop. I was testing with 20 ohm power resistor loads, not a motor, so the dynamics will obviously be different in the real world.
DLC
: -- : Kyle A. York : Sr. Subordinate Grunt : DSBU
* Dennis Clark snipped-for-privacy@frii.com www.techtoystoday.com *
What about the TC4424?
http://www.robotroom.com/HBridge.html
How about the TCA0372