Which H-Bridge Chip is the most versatile?

Hi there,

I am trying to build a small robot using PIC16F877 and need to get an H-Bridge chip.

I was wondering which brand and model is the most versatile and appropriate for this application. It will need to control two small DC motors for Forward and Reverse operation.

Thanks

Reply to
JP

For your first outing in this domain, consider an L293D, good up to 1 amp if heatsinked. Beyond that, the LMD18200 and LMD18245 are good to 3 Amps and 50 volts. If you want more power still, you should consider using a driver chip with discrete mosfets.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Thanks Clifford,

I'll look into it.

JP

Reply to
JP

for a prebuilt hbridge board udsing a L298

maybe to large for a small bot

L298 datasheet

for smaller motors maybe a L293 chip

Alex Gibson

Check

<lala>

We also have something similar but just for driving 2 DC motors, for about the same price (ok: 5 cents more). It's much more compact, and offers a 5V regulator, indicator LEDs and terminal strip connectors to boot.

(restart the SB browsing session from a new window if you want to order

- we're still fighting with frames!)

Regards, Dave

Reply to
Dave Hrynkiw

JP, if your motor current reqs are under 1 Amp, which it sounds like, you might take a look at my BOT40 board. Has layouts for the 754410 h-bridge which is same pinout as the L293D but more current - 1 Amp vs

600 mA. Plus, it will mount the '877 chip. You can get just pcb, or with parts.

Just so you know, the L29x/754410 chips aren't as efficient as some of the other h-bridge chips, but they work for battery voltages as low as

4.5v, and most of the other chips will not work below 8-10v or so. A lot of small motors uses the lower voltages.

Reply to
dan michaels