Behavior-Based Robotics by Arkin

Stephane Gauthier wrote: Stephane,

I too am looking for such a book, also a good book on fuzzy logic, I've yet to find one on either. I have a couple of fuzzy logic books but they seem intent to be mouth organs for some fuzzy design app or another and are nearly useless for design ideas - I dislike "case study" books, which usually don't do well enough in the explanation of what is going on.

Keep on looking, and let us know if you find a good one!

DLC

: Thanks for the quick review Dennis. : I just received my "Robot Programming" (Jones) book and I'm looking : forward to reading it. I added the Arkin one to my Amazon wishlist so : I'll remember next time I buy a book. It's not exactly cheap so I want : to make sure it's worth it and knowing how much you know your stuff it : made me decide to get it later.

: I'd like to read a good intro book on Neural nets too but It's hard to : find something that is more practical than theorical. (I'm definitely : more a hands-on type of guy) Any suggestions?

: Keep :> Randy M. Dumse wrote: :> : Well, I finished Joe Jones _Robot Programming, A Practical Guide to :> : Behavior-Based Robotics_ (which I highly recommend) and am looking :> : around for my next "read". One of my friends recommends _Behavior-Based :> : Robotics_ by Arkin. Anyone read this one, and have comments? :> :> I found Arkin's book to be really useful in debating/contrasting/ :> combining the various types of robotics. Some of the book is behavioral, :> some is more rigid than the Brooksian styles. His vector summing :> navigational discussions are very thought provoking (on my part anyway). :> Arkin is a behavioral "purist" so you get a bit more variety in there, :> and a lot of theory rather than practicum. I refer back to it fairly :> often. :> :> IMO, :> DLC :> :> : -- :> : Randy M. Dumse :> :

:> : Caution: Objects in mirror are more confused than they appear. :> :> :>

Reply to
Dennis Clark

I would recommend "Mobile Robotics: A Practical Introduction" by Ulrich Nehmzow. It covers robot navigation using neural networks. I have the first edition, but I think there's a second out now. It ranks amongst my favourite and most read books.

Gerry.

_Behavior-Based

*

gerry

gerry wrote: Gerry,

Got it already. It is a good book, lots of fun (and a pal of mine getting his PhD in robotics has him for a prof), however it just wasn't enough for me. I'm so hard to please. I do recommend this book though, it is a really good follow up for Arkin's book.

DLC

:> I too am looking for such a book, also a good book on fuzzy logic, I've :> yet to find one on either. I have a couple of fuzzy logic books but they :> seem intent to be mouth organs for some fuzzy design app or another and :> are nearly useless for design ideas - I dislike "case study" books, which :> usually don't do well enough in the explanation of what is going on. :>

:> Keep on looking, and let us know if you find a good one! :>

:> DLC

: I would recommend "Mobile Robotics: A Practical Introduction" by Ulrich : Nehmzow. It covers robot navigation using neural networks. I have the first : edition, but I think there's a second out now. It ranks amongst my favourite : and most read books.

: Gerry.

:>

:> : Thanks for the quick review Dennis. :> : I just received my "Robot Programming" (Jones) book and I'm looking :> : forward to reading it. I added the Arkin one to my Amazon wishlist so :> : I'll remember next time I buy a book. It's not exactly cheap so I want :> : to make sure it's worth it and knowing how much you know your stuff it :> : made me decide to get it later. :>

:> : I'd like to read a good intro book on Neural nets too but It's hard to :> : find something that is more practical than theorical. (I'm definitely :> : more a hands-on type of guy) Any suggestions? :>

:> : Keep on bot'ing :>

:> : Stephane :> :

:> : Dennis Clark wrote: :>

[...]

:> :>

:> :>

:>

:> -- :>

: ============================================================================ :> * Dennis Clark snipped-for-privacy@frii.com

: * :> * "Programming and Customizing the OOPic Microcontroller" Mcgraw-Hill 2003 : * :>

: ============================================================================

Reply to
Dennis Clark

Dennis Clark wrote: "I too am looking for such a book, also a good book on fuzzy logic, I've yet to find one on either. I have a couple of fuzzy logic books but they seem intent to be mouth organs for some fuzzy design app or another and are nearly useless for design ideas - I dislike "case study" books, which usually don't do well enough in the explanation of what is going on."

I suggest "The Fuzzy Systems Handbook", by Cox, ISBN: 0121942708. You can find it at Barnes & Noble at:

-Will Dwinnell

Will Dwinnell

For Stephane - I ran across this site:

And, Dennis, you're just so darn hard to please [TMR - too many robots :)]. Have you seen the following?

The Fuzzy Systems Handbook: A Practitioner's Guide to Building, Using, & Maintaining Fuzzy Systems by Earl Cox

I notice the price has gone up from the orig $49.95. I'll bring it to the next meeting in Ft Collins, for you to take a look at if you like [if I make it up there].

- dan ==================

Reply to
dan michaels

Cool! Man, that thing is 70$ CDN! Ouch for only 280pages. I'll have to think about it as I have quite a few books waiting in my Amazon.ca "wishlist". I guess that's one more!

Thanks,

gerry wrote:

Reply to
Stephane Gauthier

dan michaels wrote: Dan,

You're the second one to recommend that one. I'll have to look at it now. I've got some B&N gift certificates to use up...

DLC

: For Stephane - I ran across this site:

: