Automatic A/B switch for coax

I want to put some kind of timer on an a/b switch to shut signal off to a TV at a specified time each night. I have a couple of ideas but am not sure of the details yet.

Idea 1 is use an AB switch and a servo and have the servo controlled by some kind of timer. VCR timer?

Idea 2 is to use a cheap 24 hour appliance timer and have it somehow control a manual AB coaxial switch.

IDEA 3 is to use an old VCR to turn ON at 10:30pm every night, effectively cutting the pass-through signal.

any help?

Reply to
Jim

Idea #2 with a power supply to provide power to a relay? When the timer trips, so does the relay.

---The Mad Jesuit

Reply to
Mad Jesuit

Would this be meant to avoid an ECM?

If this is the reason, you could simply put the receiver power supply on a simple and cheap lamp timer that plugs into the wall. That's what I did, no power, no chance of getting hit.

Reply to
Venom8

Naww, mostly to automatically shut off the kid's tv. I think the relay idea is decent, gotta find one. Though I am not sure what the tv signal would look like after having to pass through a relay. Hummmmmm....

Jim

Reply to
Jim

use a coaxial relay

Reply to
Andy

What's an "ECM"?

---The Mad Jesuit

Reply to
Mad Jesuit

What is a Coaxial relay? I didn't know 'they' made those.

Reply to
Jim

Electronic Counter Measure (Satellite TV)

Reply to
Venom8

That's what I though ECM stood for, but why would there be an ECM attack on a home cable or Satellite TV system?

---The Mad Jesuit

Reply to
Mad Jesuit

Well there are just as many pirates in the "subscription" TV world as there are in the software world.

Reply to
Venom8