How To triping the Automatic Transfer Switch w/ a Portable Genrator

I have just installed an Generac automatic transfer switch (ATS) for my house. I am going to use this with my portable generator. Everything has been tested and works fine.

Obviously the portable generator does not have the connections to trip the internal coil of the ATS. Generac has provided a manual way to do this however it requires that I remove the cover from the panel and use an insolated screw driver of sorts.

My Question:

How can I hook up a switch that I can push on the outside of the ATS that will mimic my manual pulling of the switch?

Reply to
startagl

| I have just installed an Generac automatic transfer switch (ATS) for my | house. I am going to use this with my portable generator. Everything | has been tested and works fine. | | Obviously the portable generator does not have the connections to trip | the internal coil of the ATS. Generac has provided a manual way to do | this however it requires that I remove the cover from the panel and use | an insolated screw driver of sorts. | | My Question: | | How can I hook up a switch that I can push on the outside of the ATS | that will mimic my manual pulling of the switch?

If it's just a matter of momentarily closing a connection between two points, then a momentary contact switch wired to them should do that. Why would it not?

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

First you need to find out if the contacts on the switch are maintained or momentary.

Reply to
SQLit

This is the way a standard automatic transfer switch should operate:

When utility voltage is lost the ATS closes a start contact to the generator. When the ATS sees stable power from the generator is will use the generator power to transfer the load to the generator. When utility power returns for some programmed period of time, the ATS will transfer the load to the utility, run the generator for a cool-down period and open the start contacts, shutting down the generator.

In your case your generator may not have remote start capability. If the utility fails you would plug in your portable, if it's not connected directly, start it, and when the ATS sees good voltage it should transfer. When utility returns the ATS will transfer back to utility. It will be up to you to cool down and shut off the generator.

You can test this by hooking up your generator, starting it and opening the utility breaker to the ATS. It should transfer to your generator. Reclosing the utility breaker should cause the ATS to transfer back to utility after a given time period.

If you have any questions, please supply the model number of the transfer switch.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

If you still need assistance, I have information regarding Generac transfer switches.

Remove SPAMX from email address

Reply to
Jim Michaels