Surfing the electric wave?

I wonder how many of you out there who design circuits imagine yourself riding on an electron as it whizzes through the circuit as part of your analytic or diagnostic process?

I find this thought process to be particularly useful in software, of all things, imagining being in the midst of the data as it is flowing about me.

This thought process recurred to me in recent days when thinking about microwave circuits where the "tuned ccts" may be little more than transmission line segments. In trying to picture resonances where the resonance effect is that of a standing wave, I find it helps to be "in there".

Reply to
Polymath

Are you smoking an illegal substance?

Nokia Man

Reply to
Nokia Man

Are you smoking an illegal substance?

Nokia Man

Reply to
Nokia Man

I think you're alone on this one.

Have you been eating mushrooms from Asda's bargain section again?

You really are a soft sod aren't you?

Reply to
Wankel Rotary

But the electrons don't actually whizz about......does this guy's software actually work? Perhaps he'd better shift the paradigm.....

from Aero Spike

Reply to
Spike

Quite. A better analogy is "the path of a drunk down a busy street" (ie keeps bumping into things).

Reply to
Brian Reay

I thought you quit those "Magic Mushrooms"

Regards

Daveb

Reply to
DaveB

A better way of dealing with your obvious and well deserved inferiority complex would be to tackle and pass the Morse Test at the level set for 14-year-olds and not that at the level set for 6-year-olds, rather than indulging in rather silly and infantile slurs such as you do below.

Stupid boy.

Reply to
Polymath

Oh yes, I agree completely.

I imagine myself sitting on the back of a giant parrot with diarrhoea, flapping around helplessly squawking "Real radio ham, real radio ham" and flying around the circuit as I design it.

I find by far that is the best way to ensure that my circuits work.

I can only attribute the success of my circuits to the grand old polymethylene that I drink whilst sitting on the back of the grand parrot being fed on air beans.

Sqwark.

Reply to
Samuel Hunt

In terms of circuitry, this approach makes little sense. There is NOTHING in conventional circuit theory that depends upon "electrons." Circuit theory was developed before anything was known about electrons. Modern applications are merely based upon the application of mathematics to the fundamental circuit (Kirchhoff) laws.

On the other hand, there may be some merit to your approach when it comes to devices such electron beam tubes, particle accelerators and even semiconductors.

Bill

Reply to
Repeating Rifle

From: snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid (Polymath) I wonder how many of you out there who design circuits imagine yourself riding on an electron as it whizzes through the circuit as part of your analytic or diagnostic process? I find this thought process to be particularly useful in software, of all things, imagining being in the midst of the data as it is flowing about me. This thought process recurred to me in recent days when thinking about microwave circuits where the "tuned ccts" may be little more than transmission line segments. In trying to picture resonances where the resonance effect is that of a standing wave, I find it helps to be "in there".

Must be some Good Stuff ! Ha Ha ! I like Cartoons too };-) Though Riding an Electron isn't the best fashion, you should ride the wave on a different particle so you can observe the electron, not be it, unless you are troubleshooting Master/Slave Circuitry :-)

I use to fantasize our semiconductor theory as a calvalry of electronic soldiers (current) and a single Indian (Indium) standing against them on the substrate succesfully, letting through only on agreed terms, it was cool for a while, but then came Thermal Runway and no more Indium };-)

Roy Q.T. Urban Technician [I don't make em, I just fix em]

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

One of my earliest mentors not only rode on an electron, but recommended painting the electrons red and blue. That way Thevenen's theorem is a little easier, too.

Taking those other posters for the example they provide, it seems that imaginative visualization is a lost art. Those who can't do, make fun of those who can.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Kilzer

Not necessarily. The real trick is to visualise something relevant to the problem. Imagining electrons "whizzing about" when they actually just drift *might* lead to erroneous results. After all, he was referring to circuits rather than, say, electron tubes, where they can in fact 'whizz'.

The OP is well-known on uk.radio.amateur for posting technical errors

- there have been a raft of them over the (too many) years - and then defending the indefensible.

One standard method of recovery from this is for him to post another statement of some kind. I think he's just used this technique (again)... We've seen it all before.

from Aero Spike

Reply to
Spike

In alt.engineering.electrical Spike wrote: | Nokia Man wrote: | |>

|>Polyunsaturated fat wrote: |>

|>> I wonder how many of you out there who design |>> circuits imagine yourself riding on an electron as it whizzes |>> through the circuit as part of your analytic or diagnostic process? |>>

|>> I find this thought process to be particularly useful in software, of |>> all things, imagining being in the midst of the data as it is flowing about |>> me. |>>

|>> This thought process recurred to me in recent days when thinking about |>> microwave circuits where the "tuned ccts" may be little more than |>> transmission |>> line segments. In trying to picture resonances where the resonance effect is |>> that of a standing wave, I find it helps to be "in there". |>

|>Are you smoking an illegal substance? |>

| | But the electrons don't actually whizz about......does this guy's | software actually work? Perhaps he'd better shift the paradigm.....

Ironically, this model does work for signal wave processing. Replace his notion of an electron with an impulse or transient. I doubt that is what he is working on, though.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

"Polymath"

A better way of dealing with your obvious and well meaning superiority complex would be to totally ignore brain-dead idiots like me who failed to pass the Morse Test at the level set for 14-year-olds and even failed that at the level set for 6-year-olds!

Reply to
Theo

Lets see- at DC the electrons bumble slowly along playing musical chairs while for AC, they really don't go anywhere- merely wobble back and forth - No zipping involved.

If this works for you- fine but why complicate things with an incorrect analogy?

Reply to
Don Kelly

Just about sums up garath's thought process ;c)

Steve H

Reply to
Steve H

His WHAT???He needs a brain for those.

Reply to
Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI

What's incorrect about it? Have you considered the speed acquired while moving along the mean free path in the Druse model?

Indeed, insofar as this thread is posted in a thread for Radio Hams, perhaps you'd care to explain to them, in terms of the educational attainment that they must have to qualify, why you consider it to be wrong, and also say what analogy you think is being alluded to - I did not posit any analogy.

Reply to
Polymath

Quote: "I wonder how many of you out there who design

This smells of analogy "riding on an electron as it whizzes...".

As for mean free path in a conductor- pretty short. Electron velocity is low -order of a few meters/sec. A form of musical chairs. This has nothing to do with the wave velocity. Do you have evidence otherwise?

Reply to
Don Kelly