What is electrical resonance ?

Resonances need not be just physical movement, its normal to have

> electrical and even thermal resonances under the appropriate conditions. >

a) What exactly is electrical resonance and how is it caused and what is it's result/effect? b) What exactly is thermal resonance and how is it caused and what is it's result/effect?

Thanks Anton

Reply to
ABF

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 12:48:46 +0200 ABF wrote: | |> Resonances need not be just physical movement, its normal to have |> electrical and even thermal resonances under the appropriate conditions. |>

| | a) What exactly is electrical resonance and how is it caused and what is | it's result/effect?

It is a repeating pattern in the dimension of time.

Typical resonance can be described as something that can move back and forth in a finite way. An electrical resonance would be as simple as a current moving back an forth between the ends of a wire which makes a fine antenna element at that frequency. Or it can be current moving back and forth between a capacitor and inductor that can store a charge for some period and release it.

| b) What exactly is thermal resonance and how is it caused and what is it's | result/effect?

I would presume it to be a thermal change propogating and returning, then repeating that process.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

in article snipped-for-privacy@news3.newsguy.com, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net at snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote on 4/8/05 8:47 AM:

There is no such thing. To make a long story short, there is nothing equivalent to thermal inductance.

Bill

Reply to
Repeating Rifle

If we had a heat powered refrigerator operating with its evaporator discharging heat into the refrigerator and into the unit that vaporizes the refrigerant operating in balance, wouldn't this be thermal resonance?

Reply to
Gerald Newton

in article 42582d59$ snipped-for-privacy@news.acsalaska.net, Gerald Newton at snipped-for-privacy@acsalaska.net wrote on 4/9/05 12:30 PM:

Huh!

If you mean that you can heat up a rock in your fireplace and then use the hot rock to keep warm after the fire goes out, it is not resonance. It is the equivalent of charging up a capacitor and then discharging it.

Now if you had a magic rock that allowed cooling down below the ambient temperature, I would look at that more carefully.

Bill

Reply to
Repeating Rifle

A state in which the capacitance and the inductance values in a circuit are equal (net reactance is equal to zero) and the only quantity left is resistance.

research series resonant and parallel resonant (tank) circuits.

the result/effect is a tuned circuit.

beats me :) try alt.engineering.mechanical

Reply to
TimPerry

in article snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com, TimPerry at snipped-for-privacy@noaspamadelphia.net wrote on 4/9/05 9:03 PM:

There are a number of ways to define it. For my money, I can define it as a circuit in which stored energy sloshes back and forth between electric field energy and magnetic field energy. In a way, this is analagous to potential energy stored in a mechanical capacitor and the kinetic energy in a mechanical inductor.

If you are truly interested, study the common lagrangian formulation of electrical ciruitry and mechanical configurations. This formulation uses generalized coordinates.

Bill

Reply to
Repeating Rifle

The way I learned this was: When XC = XL in a parallel LC circuit we have resonance and current travels back and forth between a capacitor and an inductor. This circuit has minimum impedance to a wave traveling at a resonance frequency found by: XC = 1 / 2 x pi x freq in hz x C in farads XL = 2 x pi x freq in hz x L in henries Set XL equal to XC and solve for the resonance frequency.

f = 1 / (2 x pi x SQRT(LxC)

It is all explained in detail at:

Gerald Newton