Automatic Transfer Switch

What will the difference between using Automatic Transfer Switch instead of having 2 normal CBs with ATS scheme, for one normal power
supply and with emergency power supply(Not Generator) feeding one Emergency power supply switchboard. I mean to say with 2 normal CB with auto transfer schemes with separate(common) relay it can be achieved (with all interlocks etc).

Well, some transfer switches can transfer faster then opening one CB and shutting another CB.
But when using CB's you have over-current protection (assuming you properly size the CB's).
With *large* systems such as 4160 or 13.8kV, the standard practice is to use separate CB's. But this sort of system may not be in the NEC.
daestrom

I feel that a system that uses a solenoid driven transfer switch has better long term reliability then one that uses a high current relay(s) that has to be energized all the time. I have one of the latter, now unused, at one facility. I have a problem with snakes living in this one :(

Thanks Daestrom ,TimPerry - I understand that ATS are particularly used for Low Voltage aplications