Steps for installing a transfer switch

I would like to install a real transfer switch like this one

Our house is wired for 200 amps, so this is the right size for us.

I plan on getting a proper permit, but I want to understand the work involved.

Here's a picture of our power meter:

I understand that the proper electrical placement of the TS is to place it between the power meter and house main breaker. It is the physical layout that has me confused.

The meter has a prepunched hole to the right, below the utility seal line. Not sure if it is helpful. After the meter, the electric cable goes right inside the house, to the panel that is right behind the meter (maybe 1 foot long).

The question is, how to install a transfer switch here. I aam obviously unable to open the meter to look, since it is sealed.

What is the normal location of the transfer switch? How is it usually connected to the meter box?

I would think that if, hypothetically, the meter box had a prepunched knockout hole a little above the meter, then I would tap there quite easily, but it does not seem to be the case.

I want to do a 100% perfect job here, that would be inspected and all, so I want to do it right. Any good assistance would be appreciated.

P.S. I would like to avoid suggestions like "just get a little 6 circuit emergen transfer switch", it is not the right one for our situation.

Reply to
Ignoramus16089

I expect that I will need to get inside the meter, and will get proper permission.

I believe that that one is, but I will call HF or Cutler-Hammer to make sure.

Ignoramus16089

the transfer switch is a indoor one.

its better to have it inside to minimize kids messing around

install new cable from meter to transfer switch, then new cable to existing main panel.

How large a generator are you planning? if your from houston with that

13KW unit you might as well get a automatic transfer switch.......
Reply to
hallerb

I thought that I could place a padlock on it.

I will double check how this T.S. is supposed to be used, I will call C-H tomorrow. (indoor vs outdoor rating and padlock/lockout availability)

I have a 7 kW Onan DJE generator,

Ignoramus16089

Did you know theres a safe easier way:) Legal too!!!

I think its cutler hammer that has a special breaker for generator connection.

either the main breaker can be on OR the generator but not both.

completely code legal you install this dual pole 240 volt breaker connect your generator and your good to go.

Someone posted a link recently WAY cheaper than a transfer switch, no mucking with meter or even permits if your so inclined

Reply to
hallerb

The first thing you should do is to determine if you want to put everything on the transfer switch or only the emergency equipment, and leave off the unnecessary items. If you switch everything you will have to have the electric company disconnect the power while you put the switch in the leads from the meter.

If you only want the emergency equipment to run ( furnace, lighting, refrigerator, freezer) then you put in a branch ckt and run all emergency the stuff off the branch ckt box. The switch is tied between the branch and the main box. This can be done without having the electric company turn off the power.

I would recommend you consult a qualified electrician.

John

Reply to
john

If you don't have ready access to the cable which leads from the meter to the main breaker, or if the cable isn't long enough to cut and wire into the transfer switch, you are going to need to get inside the meter to fit a new cable. Which means getting the electricity board's permission.

I would be inclined to get a professional electrician to do this. You also need to make sure that the transfer switch is suitable for mounting outside, if you intend to do so.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Hey Iggy, what most folks do when installing a "Whole House" transfer switch, is to:

  1. Have the electrician make arrangments for with the Power Authority to have a reconnect schedualed after figuing about how long the job will take, then break the seal and remove the Meter, replace the wires from the MeterBase to the Main Breaker with wires long enough to reach thru the short connecting conduit between the Main Panel and the Transfer Switch and connect to the Grid side of the Transfer Switch.
  2. Add the wires from the common side of the Transfer Switch back to the Main Breaker in the panel.
  3. Have the Power Authority Guy inspect the work, replace and reseal the meter.
  4. Finish wiring in the Genset on the Genset side of the Transfer Switch, and your DONE, except writing the the cheque to the electrician, for his services.

Bruce in alaska

Reply to
Bruce in Alaska

Anyone who would replace a Main Breaker with the Meter (Power still on) still inplace, is either CRAZY, or STUPID..... which one are you???

Reply to
You

My panel is by ITE Gould. (which I think is compatible with homeline).

There is a company interlockkit.com, but I do not like their product, personally.

Ignoramus16089

Yes, that's what I want. Everything on the switch.

I do not want that. I want the entire house on the generator/transfer switch, I would simply not use certain loads that are too heavy for the generator (like central A/C).

I have a decent generator that can power my entire house if I turn off A/C, pool heater, and use the electric kitchen range very sparingly.

Why should I shortchange myself.

Like I said in my original post, I am not interested in a transfer switch for a few circuits.

Ignoramus16089

Reply to
no one that you know

I have pulled a meter too no biggie power company thanked me for informing them...

Had fuse break off in its socket, pulled meter used needlenose to remove broken fuse replaced meter. 15 minutes tops.

Its not scary but its a good idea to turn main breaker off first so meter doesnt spark when removed and replaced...

again the replacement generator breaker elminates the need for a transfer switch, is NEC code compliant and if it werent for my computer troubles a couple days ago I would have a link

Reply to
hallerb

You might be surprised trying to run your whole house with 7KW. Thing is, while breakers and the mains can withstand short transient overloads of 10X as when motors start, gennies have very little reserve capacity, maybe 20% at best.

Example: my 4.5 KW genny ( with no other load) won't start my chest-type freezer, which is rated at a couple hundred watts once running. Voltage droops, freezer and genny struggle for a couple of seconds until a thermal overload clicks in the freezer, cycle repeats ad infinitum probably until the T.O. in the freezer failed if I let it continue.

I'll defer to Bruce or other "real" electrician to advise you on wiring. It ain't rocket science, but being an EE does not make me an electrician! In MN EE's can be electricans if they pass the test (no additional education or apprenticeship required) -- but they do have to pass the test and I haven't. There's a lot of code stuff to know and it keeps changing every year.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Intellitroll (tm):

This should be good for a brief discussion of electrical safety.

Lucy, 'splain to me how shutting off the breaker (no current through the breaker or the breaker contacts, and snapping the breaker of the contacts ain't safe? With no current through the breaker, there's no current through the contacts to make an arc when the breaker is removed.

And what about those CRAZY and STUPID birds that sit on those uninsulated live wires that feed juice to the pole pigs?

Of course, after the breaker is out, don't be licking your finger and touching the the box's breaker contacts. And the new breaker must be put back immediately. A transfer switch breaker would have to have additional contacts, but in the main power "off" position the genny contacts and the house side contacts are isolated from the line.

Have fun with this one. I'm going to sit back and observe now.

Reply to