CMUcam2 vs. Logitech's QuickCam SDK

Now that the parts gathering for my robot project is moving alone nicely ( with much help from this newsgroup ! ) I am looking into the vision processing I'll need.

I am relatively spoiled in this area since I have been used to using the excellent vision processing capabilities of the Evolution Robotics ER1, which are just incredible. Since I am perhaps the world's cheapest robot hobbyist, I would like to hear from anyone with experience and opinions on cost-effective platforms such as the CMUcam2 (such as from Acroname) vs. going with Logitech's QuickCam SDK and the QuickCams .

Thanks for any input !

Reply to
pogo

If you are looking for low-cost alternatives, I would also throw the AVRcam into the pool of consideration. I did a recent comparison between the CMUcam2 and the AVRcam, which can be found here:

It is actively supported through the aforementioned forums. Feel free to post more questions if you have them there. Also, the AVRcam is completely open-source, so you can always experiment with it if you'd like. Check out all the details here:

Standard disclaimer: I developed the AVRcam, and sell it through my on-line shop at JROBOT.

Regards, John Orlando

john.orlando

Cool! I will do that! I think I need to finally subscribe to Circuit Cellar, too.

Reply to
pogo