Will Brainstem Moto + S11-3A-EMF-HBRIDGE handle the Zagros REXC Drive Motor ?

Well I finally bit the bullet and purchased a couple of the REXC Drive Motor motors from Zagros that I am sure I will be happy with. Based on the specs, it looks like the Brainstem S10-MOTO-BRD board + 2 of the S11-3A-EMF-HBRIDGE modules should be able to handle it. Does that sound right to the pros out there ?

According to the H-bridge board, it can handle peak of 6 amps. I assume that will handle a stall current of 6 amps on the motor ? (short durations, of course )

The specs on the Zagros motors are:

Rated Voltage(volt DC): 12 Rated Torque(in.oz.): 300 Reduction Ratio: (127.78:1) Motor Length (in): 3.855 Motor Diameter (in.): 2.00 Motor Weight(oz.): 16.00 Max. Continuous Torque (in.oz.): 300.00 Max Intermitant Torque (in.oz.): 300.00 No Load Speed(rpm): 40.73 No Load Current(amps): 0.22 No Load Torque(in.oz.): 0.65 Stall Current(amps): 6.00 Stall Torque(in.oz.): 1462.61 Friction Torque: 125.8959

I have these same questions in to Acroname, too.

Reply to
pogo

For those of you interested in this thread, here is the answer Acroname was kind enough to provide to me. Sounds like a great bunch of people!

The specs for the motor are right on the edge of the absolute maximum ratings of the 18200 the S11-3A-EMF-HBRIDGE. If you expect the motor to typically not stall and run at partial speeds most of the time, I would expect this to work fine. If you hope to stall the motors and run full speed most of the time, I would try to engineer in some tolerance between the ratings of the motor and the H-Bridge.

Based on this and further research on my own, I plan on going with the beefier Devatech controller from Acroname.

Reply to
pogo

If you look at the downloadable data sheet on those motors, you'll see they are made to operate with loads that draw 2-4 Amps through the motors.

If you're not gonna use them in this way, it would probably be better to buy a less expensive motor. If you are gonna use them in this way, then the 3-Amp h-bridge [LMD18200 chip] is gonna be marginal for drive, and you should go with a bridge that can handle more current. Best to give yourself some margin in operation.

- dan michaels

Reply to
dan michaels

Right. My concern was with the upper limits - peak and stall current. That's why I have since chosen to go with the Devantech controllers which can handle 20A. Gotta learn sometime !

Thanks for the info !

Reply to
pogo