Finding a specific object from environment

I have little knowledge about programming, electronics & mechanics. I want to build a mobile robot that can identitify different types of objects ,finds the objects' position & pick that objects. The robot should be able to detect objects in different light illumination, different orientation. What type of hardware (i,e, microcontroller) can I use ? What algorithm can I use ? Please help me.

Babu

Reply to
babu

This is an extremely difficult problem. With little knowledge of programming, electronics, and mechanics, it's probably insurmountable. However, if you can throw a lot of money at the problem, you can probably buy off-the-shelf solutions or hire someone with experience in robotics and machine vision to solve it for you (or come as close to solving it as possible with current technology).

You need a real computer for this level of machine vision, not a microcontroller. The exact sort of hardware doesn't matter all that much; the difficulty is in the programming.

There's a huge literature on machine vision. You might start at your closest university library, and look for an undergraduate-level text as an introduction to the topic. And this is only the vision part; then you'll need to handle navigation and eye-hand (er, camera-gripper) coordination, etc.

Good luck,

- Joe

Reply to
Joe Strout

I concur with Joe. That is a very difficult project. We're working on a similar project using the new Lego NXT robot to track and pickup a colored ball on the floor ... and perhaps try not to collide with anything while its doing that! We're using a laptop based computer over a wireless bluetooth to perform the main computation with the robot executing commands from the PC. The project is far from complete but similar to a project already listed at

for object tracking (you have to track and identify the object before you can pick it up!).

We'll post our results in a couple weeks on that page too. Feel free to contact us directly if you have any further questions.

STeven. snipped-for-privacy@roborealm.com

RoboRealm

I agree, I am taking a robotic intro course and we only get into the basics of robot vision- black objects on white background. Tell you the truth, solving your problem could probably earn you a phd. Lucas.

Reply to
lmcgill