GPS (Global Positioning System) Programming

I'm developing a program to be running on portable computers like PDA/Notebook, and I need to use GPS to calculate things like, physical distance between the user and a train station, and will remind the user to walk quicker if he's gonna miss his train.

Since I have never had experience on GPS and PDAs, I was wondering if somebody has done things like this before, or can tell me what I need in order to achieve my idea.

Thank YOU

Kenji Chan

ISTR that if you do a web search for GPS and NEMA then you'll get info on the serial data stream coming out of a GPS RX.

Reply to
Airy R Bean

[snip] This is in no way a TCP/IP question and thus is not 'on topic' here.

NMEA I feel.

O'Reilly's "Palm OS Programming" book (e.g.

an example program that reads location information from a GPS device using that protocol.

Reply to
Alan J. McFarlane

ic, it's easy for COM port devices, but if I got a USB GPS device, how to program it? I need driver?

This is already implemented in a number of consumer GPSRs, which give a display (for example) of distance and time to destination if you keep going at this current average speed.

-- Chris Malcolm snipped-for-privacy@infirmatics.ed.ac.uk +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205 IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK

Chris Malcolm