[M] Battle Bots - coming to a war near you

Title: Russia is Building War Robots: a Fully-Automated Kalashnikov Neural Network Gun
Author: Fnord666
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 14:19:00 -0400
Link:

MrPlow[1] writes:
Submitted via IRC for TheMightyBuzzard
Recently, Russian arms manufacturer Kalashnikov Concern has unveiled their
work on a fully automated combat machine. It looks like a drone, but the
neural network that controls it allows for some autonomous ability, which is
going to make for some very interesting conversation at the upcoming
ARMY-2017 forum. Did somebody say war robots?
For that matter, now that neural networks are basically being weaponized, I'm
sure there will be some important moral debates about their use in a field of
battle. Not the least of which will be: "Isn't this exactly what Skynet
wants?"
But, and we've said this many times before, technology is a tool[2].
It isn't inherently good or bad; that depends entirely on the intentions of
the user. In this case, the technology is a weapon, but that is the purview
of a military, and I think we can judge them according to their actions
instead of their tech.
Plus, the robot is really freaking cool. We'd be doing it a disservice by
ignoring that. Let's take a closer look.
We all know that drones are already used in combat, but this robot is no
drone.
Drones require operators, and while modern drones do have elements that can
acquire targets without human control, they aren't fully autonomous. By using
a neural network to control the drone, full autonomy is possible.
So far, there's no word on whether the module will fire without human
authorization. What information we do have suggests that the use of a neural
network is intended to quickly acquire many targets?something well within the
capabilities of modern AI technology.
Source:

Original Submission[4]
Read more of this story[5] at SoylentNews.
Links:
[1]:
(link)
[2]: