Measuring torque?

steamer wrote:

I figured you'd have some hardware left over. I've wondered what you ever did with those huge omniwheels from KillerB. Somehow I never pictured a Bolo using these... <g>
-- Gordon
    --Killer B is still intact, malingering in Chuck's garage last I heard.. I've got a good selection of Omnis in a box somewhere. They're neat, but IMO not suited for the battlebox. I think the most reliable system is nothing more than a tailskid, heh.     --Bolo, eh? Guess you saw my website; the one that died a'borning, just as the "sport" was killed by a bunch of 'suits'.
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : The other night I
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : dreamed about wasabi...
steamer wrote:

I've followed your bots for a while. I think the killerbotz.org site also made it into my Robotics Sourcebook.
I have a science fiction writer friend that I've known since high school that's contributed a couple stories to the "new" Bolo books. Both of us were big Laumer fans.
-- Gordon
steamer wrote:

It's relatively easy to build a test jig, but for a one-time use I'd just try it out with a similiar load, especially since you already have the motor.
You can also try searching the web for a similiar motor with a posted max torque. Check MPJA, Herbach and Radelman and others. This may give you a starting point. I think these typically draw around 4 amps at stall, and 1 amp no-load (but I don't have a lot of experience with these, and I may be thinking about power window motors).
Here are some specs on a typical motor (from some kind of ford). Yours may have similar specs -- but again, I don't have a lot of experience with these, so please add the usual grain of salt:
http://pergatory.mit.edu/2.007/kit/actuator/fordmtr/fordmtr.html
--
(Replies: cleanse my address of the Mark of the Beast!)