Opportunity Sees Tiny Spheres in Martian Soil

On a related note... If you look at the image at

in the lower right quadrant, just below the middle of the airbag drag marks, there is a series of oddly regular pairs of white dots in the martian soil

Some people I have shown this to agree that it might be a fossil, others are skeptical.

Can anyone think of a way to enhance the image to better discern its origin?

Could NASA be convinced to send Spirit back for a close-up?

JRU

Reply to
junekis

I increased the resolution and looked at them more closely. Sorry to disappoint you, but they are just angular rocks. No fossils evident there.

Reply to
George

Don't beleive him the Martian Crabs have taken him over:

Donald L Ferrt

Well it's a moot point:- Quote:- "Dust adhesion/cohesion, atmospheric transport and electrical storms on Mars may all be aspects of the same phenomena: the electrical activity of the suspended dust. Investigations are underway in the Mars simulation laboratory, which can quantify this electrification with the use of Mars analogue dust. " Endquote.

don findlay

So what we are saying is that alien robots are soaping our fountains?

Reply to
Blueeyedpop

Not to mention the obvious give away, that every crop circle photo shows the circle intersects some path or hedgerow leading to the edge of the field. So the perps can get in and out without leaving tracks.

Reply to
jonathan

skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

a fossil of what?

snip

/Carsten

Reply to
Carsten Troelsgaard

You can't really tell, because of that stand of trees in the way.

(ROTFL. Sorry. I usually do better at self control.)

Reply to
Randy M. Dumse

"John Curtis" wrote

Check out this colorized shot where the spheres appear blue (handy for spotting them). They are evidently weathering out of the outcrop rocks, in this case "Snout." Several can be seen jutting out of the sides of the rock.

The rock looks very weak.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Knapp

Most fountain soapinga are done by aliens.

Reply to
Parallax

---------------------- I've seen the assertion that crop circles are old, but not EVER supported by evidence, in fact, what were once CALLED "crop circles" in prior centuries bear no resemblance to the current phenomenon, and look like simple dustdevil or incipient tornadic resultants.

I have also read now that the assertion that crop circles are old is nothing but a blatant lie by crop circle supporters that can be dated from a specific news conference, and was never alleged in any news or literature prior to its contemporarily recent date.

-Steve

Reply to
R. Steve Walz

Many of you have now had a chance to see the tiny spheres in the soil and in the rock outcrops in photos taken by the Mars Opportunity rover. I have found some interesting suggestions for what these spheres may be in the following link (all of you kooks out there, please note that most, if not all of these suggestions are tongue and cheek, and are meant for your enjoyment, not for serious discussion):

George

Hi George

How do you get linked to such a vivid discussion? I read all the posts and am left more perplexed than ever. The spherolitic lappili seems intriguing ... exept that it involves water Now, as with the cohesive soil, it would be nice to get some follow-up info from NASA. I lost the link to the Australian geologist who worked on mass-movements/slides of sediments with a clathrat/CO2-ice component - but CO2 hail may not be far off either. .. If the Mars' atmosphere just vanishes at the poles as CO2 ice/snow ....... There is no fluid fase of CO2 at the surface, but I keep turning back to ground-fluid movements as a participant in aggregating the solid 'sedimentary' outcrop - the internal temperature may be high enough to make a fluid fase of water, but I'm not sure if the pressure would be high enough to create a fluid CO2 fase. Plenty of room for speculation ....

Carsten

"George" skrev i en meddelelse news:eUKVb.1259$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews6.bellsouth.net...

Reply to
Carsten Troelsgaard

Google is my friend.

Reply to
George

Damn teenage aliens. Go get drunk and play tricks on your own planet, jerks!

Reply to
El Guapo

| If a race of aliens had just traveled 100 trillion miles to our planet, | chances are excellent they'd have something better to do than make | pretty circles in our corn and wheat fields. |

may be their way of fun... or exploring...

Reply to
Wylamaenderiel