Opportunity Sees Tiny Spheres in Martian Soil

The only problem with that idea is that lightning has never been observed on Mars, depsite the hundreds of thousands of photographs taken of the planet.
Add pictures here
βœ–
George wrote:

If there were a lightning on Mars, we would not see it on a photograph of Mars Global Surveyor or Mars Express, execept maybe one single bright pixel, because these pictures are recorded line by line, and the time a lightning lasts is too short to be seen in more than one line. But lightnings could be easily detected by the radio waves they emit. I have no Idea if such observations have been carried out on Mars.
--
http://www.geocities.com/carla_sch/index.html

Add pictures here
βœ–

observed on

planet.
They've never been detected.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Well it's a moot point:- Quote:- "Dust adhesion/cohesion, atmospheric transport and electrical storms on Mars may all be aspects of the same phenomena: the electrical activity of the suspended dust. Investigations are underway in the Mars simulation laboratory, which can quantify this electrification with the use of Mars analogue dust. " Endquote. http://www.google.com.au/search?q Κche:MbZL-_9hQdkJ:www.marslab.dk/ResearchDustTransport.htm+%22electrical+storms%22+mars&hl=en&ie=UTF-8 Endquote
Add pictures here
βœ–
February 5, 2004
Ron wrote:

Hint : Hap McSween, as in Harvey and McSween, the well known anti-mars-life geology crackpots.
Thomas Lee Elifritz http://elifritz.members.atlantic.net
Add pictures here
βœ–

Don't beleive him the Martian Crabs have taken him over:
http://www.martiancrabs.com
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Ron) wrote in message

Perhaps the silica was fused by the action of atmospheric oxygen on the primordial silicon emanating from a volcano. The pores remind me of pumice particles which may still harbor a few intact pumice bubbles containing the primordial constituents of the planetary interior. Higher than atmospheric concentration of neon in the particles would lend credence to this speculation. John Curtis
Add pictures here
βœ–

Check out this colorized shot where the spheres appear blue (handy for spotting them). They are evidently weathering out of the outcrop rocks, in this case "Snout." Several can be seen jutting out of the sides of the rock.
http://www.copperas.com/astro/spheres.jpg
The rock looks very weak.
Joe
Add pictures here
βœ–
snip

snip
I will suggest this last origin - melted sediment from a meteor-impact. The pores could be trapped initial porosity of the sediment. The green color associates to a welth of green ironrich melts and minerals. There is not much likeness to the melted spheres in the volcanic ash I have seen - but I havn't seen much though!
Carsten
Add pictures here
βœ–
On a related note... If you look at the image at
http://www.lyle.org/mars/oldmars/marstrue.jpg
in the lower right quadrant, just below the middle of the airbag drag marks, there is a series of oddly regular pairs of white dots in the martian soil
Some people I have shown this to agree that it might be a fossil, others are skeptical.
Can anyone think of a way to enhance the image to better discern its origin?
Could NASA be convinced to send Spirit back for a close-up?
JRU

Add pictures here
βœ–

I increased the resolution and looked at them more closely. Sorry to disappoint you, but they are just angular rocks. No fossils evident there.
Add pictures here
βœ–

a fossil of what?
snip
/Carsten
Add pictures here
βœ–

You can't really tell, because of that stand of trees in the way.
(ROTFL. Sorry. I usually do better at self control.)
--
Randy M. Dumse
www.newmicros.com

<snip>
Many of you have now had a chance to see the tiny spheres in the soil and in the rock outcrops in photos taken by the Mars Opportunity rover. I have found some interesting suggestions for what these spheres may be in the following link (all of you kooks out there, please note that most, if not all of these suggestions are tongue and cheek, and are meant for your enjoyment, not for serious discussion):
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1073403/posts?page &
Add pictures here
βœ–
Hi George
How do you get linked to such a vivid discussion? I read all the posts and am left more perplexed than ever. The spherolitic lappili seems intriguing ... exept that it involves water Now, as with the cohesive soil, it would be nice to get some follow-up info from NASA. I lost the link to the Australian geologist who worked on mass-movements/slides of sediments with a clathrat/CO2-ice component - but CO2 hail may not be far off either. .. If the Mars' atmosphere just vanishes at the poles as CO2 ice/snow ....... There is no fluid fase of CO2 at the surface, but I keep turning back to ground-fluid movements as a participant in aggregating the solid 'sedimentary' outcrop - the internal temperature may be high enough to make a fluid fase of water, but I'm not sure if the pressure would be high enough to create a fluid CO2 fase. Plenty of room for speculation ....
Carsten

in
Add pictures here
βœ–