SC16IS752 I2C/serial anyone?

I've designed a board around the Phillips SC16IS752 dual I2C/serial bridge chip. However, I'm having problems getting the thing to set up
properly. I have Googled and searched the Phillips and other sites for app notes on using the I2C but found no app notes. So, if anyone out there has used this chip in a design could you share any tips you have on configuration dependencies and operational oddities that you may have discovered?
many thanks, DLC
* Dennis Clark snipped-for-privacy@frii.com www.techtoystoday.com *