seeking oscilloscope manual

Hitachi V-152B 15Mhz oscilloscope.
I'm looking for the manual. the .5 calibration is a square wave .5 peak (oscillating between 0 and .5 volts)
I'm wondering if this is normal (switching power supply?)
also, there is a TV mode, and I'd like to be able to use it.
Rich
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

One of my scopes is a Hitachi V-1050F, 100-Mhz. Probably similar. The calibration node says "CAL .5V", and the signal is a 0 - 0.5v 1-Khz square wave. Probably intended to calibrate a 10X probe.
- dan michaels www.oricomtech.com =====================
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

That's a normal scope calibration waveform. It has nothing to do with the power supply. You use it to set the vertical position and vertical gain calibration.

You don't see that much any more. "TV mode" syncs well on TV sync waveforms. It's not for watching TV on the scope. Try running a composite video signal into the scope, set the sweep rate for about 15.5KHz, set TV mode, and see what you get.
                John Nagle

Not for watching TV on the scope, but for watching TV signal on the scope...
it's two channel, each channel has knobs: 1)volts per division 2)position (set zero) 3)variable/calibrate
there is a mode selector between the channel knobs:
1)ch1 2)ch2 3)dual [XY] 4)add 5)diff
I know what all these do, but I don't know what the [X Y] label means on the dual mode selection.
the main controls are: 1)power/intensity (turns on machine, varies brightness of beam) 2)focus (varies focus of beam) 3)trace rotation (varies rotation of beam) 4)time per division (.2seconds to .2us) 5)swp var cal (calibrate the time per division?) 6)pos (change horizontal position of beam)
the TV mode has it's own section on the front panel, controls:
TV mode switch: 1)auto 2)normal 3)tv+ 4)tv-
TV source switch: 1)ch1 2)ch2 3)line 4)ext (points to "trigger input", which is BNC scope lead connector, came with a BNC to RCA adaptor, so you can plug RCA cable into it)
there is a "level" knob (+, - potentiometer)
the area on the panel which is related to TV is shaded brown, just like the mode selector between channel1/channel2 controls.
what do the VAR knobs do? is this just to calibrate volts per division and time per division?
I'd like to figure out the TV mode, so I can look at NTSC signals and study them.
Rich
On 8 Feb 2006 11:34:12 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

This could be several things. At higher sweep rates it's probably alternate (it toggles between ch1 and ch2 inputs with each sweep, displaying each one at a time, but it's fast enough that it looks like both at once) and slower rates it's chop (the trace is quickly switched back and forth between ch1 and ch2 as the beam is swept from left to right, appearing to display them both simultaneously).
"XY mode" means that one channel directly controls the X position (instead of the sweep section generating it) and the other controls the Y position (as it normally does).
This shows what you can get by putting different frequencies of sinewaves into the X and Y inputs:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LissajousCurve.html or google for Lissajous.

There's a detent at the 'cal' position, when it's at that point the sweep speed is what the time-per-division switch says it is. You can turn this to vary the sweep speed over a small range (perhaps seeing a part of a waveform you otherwise can't), as opposed to the larger steps the rotary switch gives.

The gain variable controls do the same as the sweep variable does. You set them at the 'cal' position and the display is 1V per division, 5V per division or whatever that switch is set for. You can turn the control to get in-between gains, but you won't know the exact gain at that point without putting in a known voltage and seeing where the trace goes on the screen.

This might be fun for a little while, but anything you learn about that will be obsolete in just a few short years.

Thanks for the information!
I figure I'll be obselete in a few years, so I don't have to worry about my knowledge being obselete.
Rich
http://www.hdeg.tzo.com/004%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20Oscilloscopes/V-152B-Operation%20Manual.pdf
On 8 Feb 2006 13:52:21 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Thank you very much!