Using POWER MOSFETS to increase R/C ESC ratings

Hi Guys,

OK, now I've got theory, and would like your input on it: (ESC is the normal r/c electronic speed controller)

A ESC outputs a PWM signal to control the speed of the motor, and the only thing that limits the size of the motor it can control is the ratings of the transistors inside it (i know there could also be wire thickness etc etc). Now, in theory, could I connect some power mosfets to a ESC to amplify the rating the ESC could handle? The ratings on the Mosfets would then become the new ratings of the speed control....

Would it work?

Thanks

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Sure, it could be made to work. But the complexity is in how you interface the output of your controller to the mosfets. If this is a normal bi-directional motor controller then you need to build a full H-bridge with four power mosfets. Your current controller will have just 2 outputs to the motor but you need to generate from that the 4 signals to drive each of the 4 power mosfets. That's probably going to require at least a couple of transistors and a handful of resistors. In the end, it will probably just be easier and cheaper to get a higher power controller to start with.

Reply to
Curt Welch

Yes, but you'll spend more than you would getting a speed control with a higher power rating, especially since you'll probably blow out some of the MOSFETs. You can get R/C speed controls in ratings up to at least 100A. How much current do you need?

John Nagle

Reply to
John Nagle

50A at 36V
Reply to
Michael

You've seen the OSMC, right? I think at some point they had an RC->PWM interface for it.

chris

Reply to
eckern